OSCA Board Meeting Minutes - Approved
Tuesday, March 21st, 2017
7:30 pm. The Firehall
In Attendance: Lise Beutel, Kelly Campbell, Lizane Castonguay, Linda Hancock, Michael Jenkin, Dana Levac, Jacqueline Littlewood, Brian Ure.
Regrets: Kate Charland, Pam Dakers, Ahmed Elsayed, Christine Franklin, Nick Galletti, Matt Hart, Janet Jull, Steve Mennill, Evan Pilkington, Michaela Tokarski, Erik Van Der Torre,
Guests: Councillor David Chernushenko, Brendan McCoy (OSCAR editor), Christy Savage (OSCA Executive Director).
Guests from the community: Susan Brousseau, Bruce Grant, Nigel Harris, Laura
- Approval of Agenda
The agenda was reviewed and items (Southminster Church redevelopment) was added.
- Approval of Minutes of January 2017
No quorum: The minutes will need to be approved at the April Board meeting.
- Councillor’s report- Councillor David Chernushenko
- A number of streets in the North West quadrant of OOS will receive major repairs. There will be a public meeting held on Wednesday March 29th 7:00-9:00pm.
- Brewer park re-imagining consultation will take place on March 23rd. The point of the consultation will be to extract the values of the park, then drilling down to detail. This will be a 5-10 year project. It was also noted that there is no budget for this yet.
- Southminster Church is currently in negotiations with Windmill. As a result, a final plan has not been determined nor made public. The Councillor’s office has noted concerns and it is understood that, at present, consultations are being held with those who live directly near the church. Eventually a community consultation will be held. Windmill will be meeting with OSCA’s Planning and Zoning Committee who who will ensure they hold a public consultation as promised.
- Executive Committee report- Linda Hancock- OSCA President.
- Childcare act update
There are no major updates. Licensing will be a lengthy process. GNAG is going to license since they already have a licensed space in the Centre. So this makes sense. Christy is hoping to meet with GPDC and Hopewell school. The program committee are going to make a decision in April and report back to the Board then.
- Brewer park re-imagining will be held this Thursday. The Councillor has already reported on this so there is no need to add anything further. OSCA will be assisting.
- Ottawa Park Summit- OSCA received an invitation to facilitate and be involved. It was agreed that Christy would ask the Board if anyone wanted to lead this initiative on behalf of OSCA.
- Childcare act update
- Finance report presented by Dana Levac – Treasurer
An update on statutory requirements for Non Profit auditing. Until the new Not for Profit Corporations Act comes into effect, we are required to conduct annual audits. The new act relaxes the rules somewhat and audits will only be required every 3 years.
Our 2016 draft year end was presented. We expect our losses to be appx $45K which is on par with what was projected. We will present a final 2016 in April. The audit will not be ready for the AGM but will be in July/August.
Dana has put together a comparison and a draft dashboard. She will finalize and present at the next meeting.
Generally- Child and youth programs have had the most significant change- 76% of our revenues. Adult 16%, cardio 5%. After 4 is difficult to compare since it runs according to a school year.
Camps in general decreased but was because of one less week of camps compared to the previous year.
We will have the 2017 budget for approval at next month’s meeting. We are looking at different variables and consequences with different decisions and ensuring we are sustainable.
- Committee reports and decision items:
- Nominations- We will have 6 or 7 new Board members joining. This will almost be a full slate which is wonderful.
- Communications Committee- nothing to report.
- Planning and Zoning- nothing to report.
- Program Committee- nothing to report other than the previous discussion on the Child Care Act.
- Traffic and Safety- Brian Ure- Co-Chair
Brian introduces Sarah Fraser who is coordinating the Bike Rally. Sarah noted that things are moving along well. Safer Roads Ottawa is also assisting. Neignbouring communities will also participate with routes into Windsor park where the bike rally will take place. There are some outstanding questions about insurance and training for ride leaders for can bike. The Councillor’s office has also been involved and facilitating meetings and preparation and were thanked for their assistance.
- Update on Green Dreamers – Brian will review the contract and the accompanying handbook and will send the information to the Executive for review prior to the next Board meeting.
The Board meeting was adjourned at 8:34pm.
The next meeting will be on Tuesday, April 18th, 2017.