Old Ottawa South Community Association

  • Ottawa South History Project

The Lewis Williams Family

Recently on March 1st, as a Saint David's Day tribute, the Bytown Museum posted an historic photo of the Lewis Williams family. Lewis Williams came from Wales in 1817 and settled along the Rideau River in then Nepean Township; the heritage-designated Williams house still stands at 96 Southern Drive, in Old Ottawa South.

Read more...

Planning Primer Heritage Elective

The Planning, Infrastructure, and Economic Development Department offers the Planning Primer Program to help residents become more aware of, and more involved in, the land-use planning process.  The program is a series of free, half-day courses. 

You can register for the Planning Primer Heritage Elective course until November 17, 2017. Seating is limited to 40 residents per session.

Read more...
Wine & Food for a Good Cause

Wine & Food for a Good Cause

Cameron Avenue east of Bank Street came alive with the sound of bagpipes this past Friday evening.  A wine pairing fundraising event was hosted by Linda Hancock (OSCA Past President) and her husband, Mazen Soubra.  About 60 guests were piped in by members of the Ottawa Caledonian Pipes & Drums group.  The bagpipes were a fitting tribute to Robertson House, Linda & Mazen’s home, which is 130 years old this year.  Robertson House is one of the heritage designated buildings in Old Ottawa South.

Read more...

Robertson House

Front (north) facade (Kathy Krywicki, 2008)
Front (north) facade (Kathy Krywicki, 2008)

32 Cameron Avenue
c. 1887
Residential

View Additional images of building.

This 1 1/2-storey brick veneer structure was built around 1887 in the then-rural area south of Ottawa. The pitched roof, double-gabled façade, ornate verge boards, and one-storey veranda with its extensive woodwork and central gable are all of architectural interest. The chinoiserie pattern of the railings reveals the handiwork of a proficient local carpenter, but many of the other decorative elements – ranging from the eight-pointed stars in the verge board to the dentils and spindles on the upper part of the veranda – were all manufactured by machine in local planning mills, and could be ordered from design books or catalogues. The L-plan of this house and the asymmetrical façade reflect the ultimate triumph of the romantic sensibility over the Georgian symmetry that had lingered in the Ottawa area.

Read more...

Mayfair Theatre

Front (east) facade (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008)
Front (east) facade (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008)

1074 Bank Street
1932
Commercial

View additional images of building.
Statement of Cultural Heritage Significance.

The exterior of the Mayfair Theatre faces Bank Street with a three-story brick façade topped by a centrally-located, free-standing curvilinear Spanish Colonial Revival gable. The upper two thirds of the façade constitute a primarily blank, windowless surface with very limited decorative features. These include patterned brickwork and small square artificial cut-stone inlays defining the corners of rectangular brick frames articulating the facade. The building’s lower third opens up along the street level through the theatre’s entry doors as well as the storefront window of a barber shop located to their right. Another store originally flanked the entry doors from the left, but was later incorporated into the theatre.

Read more...

Ottawa South Fire Station

Front (north) facade (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008)
Front (north) facade (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008)

260 Sunnyside Avenue
1921
Institutional

View additional images of building.

The elaborate Spanish Revival style tells us at a glance that this building was designed by Werner Ernst Noffke (1878 – 1964), one of Ottawa’s best-known architects of the early 20th century. It is also the third-oldest surviving structure built as a fire station in the city. Its construction in 1921 reflected the southward growth of the city and came at a transitional time in the evolution of firefighting technology. As built, it accommodated both horse-drawn and motorized equipment, with the stables for the horses located underneath. Instead of the traditional hose drying tower, this fire hall had a hose drying room in the basement.

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed

Contact us

613-247-4946