Old Ottawa South Community Association

  • Ottawa South History Project

Ottawa South History Project

We are a group of local amateur historians whose interest is to research, document, and present facts and information about the history of Old Ottawa South in a fun and informative way.

In this section

Heritage Properties

A map to all the heritage properties in Old Ottawa South, linked to the Old Ottawa South History Project's write-up on each. Your own virtual historical walking tour of our neighbourhood.


Legend

  • blue pin = designated heritage property
  • red pin = significant heritage property
  • green pin = Heritage Survey 2009 property
View items...

Long reads

Essays and reflections on the History of Old Ottawa South View items...

Stories

These are glimpses of Old Ottawa South's history: reproduced snippets of news items and notices describing the old, as if it were new. View items...

Hopewell Avenue Public School

South facade of old building facing Hopewell Avenue (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) 17 Hopewell Avenue 1910 and laterEducational View additional images of building. The first school on the present Hopewell Avenue Public School site dates back to the 1830s or 1840s. It was a one-room log building with a few windows, a small door, and a wood stove. By the end of the 1870s, this was replaced by a brick building with semi-circular arched windows and doors, as well buff-colored brick at the corners to give the impression of rusticated stone. This newer building had two small classrooms and was heated by stoves connected by long pipes that ended at the building’s chimney.
Read more...

Bank Street Bridge

South part (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) North part (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) 1912;* restored in 1993Infrastructure View additional images of structure. The Bank Street Canal Bridge carries Bank Street along a roughly north – south direction over the Rideau Canal, linking The Glebe to Old Ottawa South. It also passes over Queen Elizabeth and Colonel By drives, each of which extends along one side of the canal.
Read more...

Williams House

Northern facade facing Southern Drive (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 96 Southern Drive1820s and laterResidential View additional images of building. An 1827 map of the vicinity around the still-new settlement of Bytown shows the residence of Lewis Williams on this site, across the Rideau River from the house of Braddish Billings. The map is on display at the Billings Estate Museum. On this basis, it is believed that the original portion of this frame structure dates from 1827, placing it among the oldest frame buildings in Ottawa. Williams and his family were among the first settlers of the region, arriving in 1817.
Read more...

Southminster United Church

Main (east) facade (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 15 Aylmer Street (intersection of Aylmer Avenue and Bank Street)1931Religious View additional images of building. Two congregations in Ottawa South, the Methodist and Presbyterian, united to build Southminster United Church in 1931 on the site of the former Methodist Church, which had been built in 1909 but torn down to make way for the new building.
Read more...

Monastery of the Precious Blood / Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons

Front (north) facade (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 774 Echo Drive1914 – 23Institutional View additional images of building. This Sisters of the Precious Blood, a contemplative order of nuns founded in St. Hyacinthe, Quebec, came to Ottawa in 1887. In 1898, they purchased the MacKay estate on Echo Drive, which included a large stone house. The house was demolished and in 1914 work began on a new convent designed by Alphonse Contant. However, construction came to a halt in 1916 due to a steel shortage during the First World War. In 1917, work again stopped when the architect refused to spend any more money on the project and absconded with the funds. The building stood unfinished for four years. After receiving generous donations of materials and labour from the community, the Sisters moved into the monastery in 1923. Because of the financial problems, however, the building was austere and some parts, such…
Read more...

Robertson House

Front (north) facade (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 32 Cameron Avenuec. 1887Residential View Additional images of building. This 1 1/2-storey brick veneer structure was built around 1887 in the then-rural area south of Ottawa. The pitched roof, double-gabled façade, ornate verge boards, and one-storey veranda with its extensive woodwork and central gable are all of architectural interest. The chinoiserie pattern of the railings reveals the handiwork of a proficient local carpenter, but many of the other decorative elements – ranging from the eight-pointed stars in the verge board to the dentils and spindles on the upper part of the veranda – were all manufactured by machine in local planning mills, and could be ordered from design books or catalogues. The L-plan of this house and the asymmetrical façade reflect the ultimate triumph of the romantic sensibility over the Georgian symmetry that had lingered in the Ottawa area.
Read more...

Mayfair Theatre

Front (east) facade (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) 1074 Bank Street 1932 Commercial View additional images of building. Statement of Cultural Heritage Significance The exterior of the Mayfair Theatre faces Bank Street with a three-story brick façade topped by a centrally-located, free-standing curvilinear Spanish Colonial Revival gable. The upper two thirds of the façade constitute a primarily blank, windowless surface with very limited decorative features. These include patterned brickwork and small square artificial cut-stone inlays defining the corners of rectangular brick frames articulating the facade. The building’s lower third opens up along the street level through the theatre’s entry doors as well as the storefront window of a barber shop located to their right. Another store originally flanked the entry doors from the left, but was later incorporated into the theatre.
Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed

Contact us

613-247-4946