Old Ottawa South Community Association

  • Ottawa South History Project

Hopewell Avenue Public School

South facade of old building facing Hopewell Avenue (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008)

17 Hopewell Avenue
1910 and later
Educational

View additional images of building.

The first school on the present Hopewell Avenue Public School site dates back to the 1830s or 1840s. It was a one-room log building with a few windows, a small door, and a wood stove. By the end of the 1870s, this was replaced by a brick building with semi-circular arched windows and doors, as well buff-colored brick at the corners to give the impression of rusticated stone. This newer building had two small classrooms and was heated by stoves connected by long pipes that ended at the building’s chimney.

Bank Street Bridge

South part (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008)

South part (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008)

North part (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008)

North part (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008)

1912;* restored in 1993
Infrastructure

View additional images of structure.

The Bank Street Canal Bridge carries Bank Street along a roughly north – south direction over the Rideau Canal, linking The Glebe to Old Ottawa South. It also passes over Queen Elizabeth and Colonel By drives, each of which extends along one side of the canal.

Williams House

Northern facade facing Southern Drive (Kathy Krywicki, 2008)
Northern facade facing Southern Drive (Kathy Krywicki, 2008)

96 Southern Drive
1820s and later
Residential

View additional images of building.

An 1827 map of the vicinity around the still-new settlement of Bytown shows the residence of Lewis Williams on this site, across the Rideau River from the house of Braddish Billings. The map is on display at the Billings Estate Museum. On this basis, it is believed that the original portion of this frame structure dates from 1827, placing it among the oldest frame buildings in Ottawa. Williams and his family were among the first settlers of the region, arriving in 1817.

Subscribe to this RSS feed

Contact us

613-247-4946