This story from the September 1994 OSCAR by David Bouse notes some of the similarities along the Rideau River over the many years of settlement in Ottawa South. An 1830 watercolour by artist James Pattison Cockburn inspires some comparisons.
The Planning, Infrastructure, and Economic Development Department offers the Planning Primer Program to help residents become more aware of, and more involved in, the land-use planning process. The program is a series of free, half-day courses.
You can register for the Planning Primer Heritage Elective course until November 17, 2017. Seating is limited to 40 residents per session.
The Ottawa South History Project is pleased to announce the publication of Exploring the Built Heritage of Ottawa South.
Published in partnership with Heritage Ottawa, the book encompasses an overview of the history of Old Ottawa South and presents the designated heritage properties in the neighbourhood, along with the property profiles and streetscapes developed in the summer of 2009.
Online sales are available through Heritage Ottawa. The book is also available in selected local bookstores such as Octopus Books in the Glebe, Books on Beechwood in New Edinburgh, Perfect Books in Centretown, and Black Squirrel Books in Old Ottawa South.
South facade of old building facing Hopewell Avenue (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008)
17 Hopewell Avenue
1910 and later
The first school on the present Hopewell Avenue Public School site dates back to the 1830s or 1840s. It was a one-room log building with a few windows, a small door, and a wood stove. By the end of the 1870s, this was replaced by a brick building with semi-circular arched windows and doors, as well buff-colored brick at the corners to give the impression of rusticated stone. This newer building had two small classrooms and was heated by stoves connected by long pipes that ended at the building’s chimney.
1912;* restored in 1993
The Bank Street Canal Bridge carries Bank Street along a roughly north – south direction over the Rideau Canal, linking The Glebe to Old Ottawa South. It also passes over Queen Elizabeth and Colonel By drives, each of which extends along one side of the canal.
Title: 175 Belmont Avenue
Address: 175 Belmont Avenue (Lot 17, north side of Belmont Avenue)
The house located at 175 Belmont Avenue in Ottawa, Ontario was constructed in 1898 by Elizabeth Evans, a widow with several children the oldest of which, Grace Evans, was a co-owner. It is a large 2 ½ story brick-veneered frame house with a side hall plan, front-facing gable, and pitched roof. It functioned as a rental property for the Evans family until Grace Evans’s death in 1965. The house is typical of middle class homes at the turn of the twentieth century. 1 At the time of its construction, a sister duplex was built for Elizabeth Evans at 183 Belmont which also functioned as a rental property providing income for the Evans family.
Reflecting on Old Ottawa South’s Built Environment, Past and Present
This essay provides both documentary information as well as reflections on the architectural and urban characteristics of Old Ottawa South. It addresses the neighborhood’s past evolution, present characteristics, as well as possible future trends. It discusses possible scenarios that allow for increased densification in Old Ottawa South while preserving, and even enhancing, the urban and architectural qualities that contribute to making the neighborhood a positive example of urban living.
Originally published in the December 2011 OSCAR.
The recent Home for the Holidays house tour highlighted, amongst others, a beautiful nearly century-old house with river stone walls at 720 Echo Drive. The lot upon which this house is build was originally part of an estate owned by George Hay, a successful 19th century hardware store owner who later became president of the Bank of Ottawa. His house, a designated heritage building from the 19th century, still stands at 700 Echo Drive.