Cleaning the Capital is a city-wide cleanup campaign that occurs in the spring and fall of every year. Residents come together as a community and combine efforts to make our city clean and green. Litter pickup or graffiti removal projects register with the City of Ottawa and participating teams, upon request, receive a cleanup starter kit to assist them with their projects.
How you can take part
- Pick your project site, your cleanup date (rain date too!), and time.
- Promote your project and gather your project team.
- Be sure to plan ahead for the proper disposal of compost, garbage, recycling, leaf-and-yard waste and any other hazardous items you may collect. Need assistance? Call 311.
- Cleaning the Capital is an ideal way for neighbours, family, and friends to work together and clean up their neighbourhood.
- March 15, 2018: Early bird registration begins. Register your project by April 14 to be eligible to win an early-bird prize donated by sponsors.
- April 15, 2018 - May 15, 2018: Spring Cleaning the Capital campaign
- April 27, 2018 – April 29, 2018: Capital Cleanup Weekend
- If your project takes place during Capital Cleanup Weekend, a campaign sponsor and/or your city Councillor may visit your team during your registered cleanup!
- May 15, 2018: Registration ends
- May 31, 2018: Deadline to submit your online cleanup report. After you have finished your cleanup project, please submit your online cleanup report. Submit it by the deadline and your team will be entered in a draw to win prizes donated by our sponsors.
- Fill out the online registration form or call 3-1-1 (TTY: 613-580-2401) to register your project. If you need supplies, remember to request your project starter kit and to select your desired pickup location while registering.
The importance of registering: If you're cleaning up your neighbourhood or favourite green space, please register with us. People are encouraged to register in order to allow Cleaning the Capital organizers to distribute cleaning supplies, track the areas that have been cleaned, and recognize volunteer work.