September 1947 marked the start of a new season at the Ottawa South Community Center, housed at Hopewell Avenue Public School. The recreation center's theme urged residents of Ottawa South to take a chance on 'Childhood Preferred' and invest in a boy or girl in order to get a great man or a great woman.
In recognition of Deirdre McQuillan’s extensive service to the community of Old Ottawa South, on November 23, 2017, the City of Ottawa named the lounge in the Firehall the “Deirdre McQuillan Lounge”. Councillor Chernushenko, OSCA Board Members, friends and family members were present at the ceremony.
260 Sunnyside Avenue
The elaborate Spanish Revival style tells us at a glance that this building was designed by Werner Ernst Noffke (1878 – 1964), one of Ottawa’s best-known architects of the early 20th century. It is also the third-oldest surviving structure built as a fire station in the city. Its construction in 1921 reflected the southward growth of the city and came at a transitional time in the evolution of firefighting technology. As built, it accommodated both horse-drawn and motorized equipment, with the stables for the horses located underneath. Instead of the traditional hose drying tower, this fire hall had a hose drying room in the basement.