Old Ottawa South Community Association


This article or modules on this page were created by a demo user account which is no longer in existence.
Please edit the article and assign a new user

Making the Grade: The Importance of an Education Saving Strategy

Linda Hancock, Senior Financial Consultant at the Investor's Group, presents a free seminar on saving for your children's education on Wed., Nov. 21st, 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm at the Firehall Lounge, 260 Sunnyside Ave. Topics of the presentation include:

  • The Importance of an Education Saving Strategy
  • The Advantages for You and Your Child
  • Your Education Savings Options
  • Building a Strategy around RESPs
  • The Canadian Education Savings Grant

Please call to confirm your attendance. There is no cost and no obligation but seating will be limited to 20 participants. Call Rose Marie Mondor at (613) 798-7700 ext. 224.


Havana Cafe Fundraising Brunch Nov. 4

Havana Brunch 150Our Sunday Brunch is back and we would like all of you to come join us on November 4th to not only enjoy a lovely meal but also to help raise awareness of the devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy. As many of you already know the Atlantic coast has and continues to be destroyed by this awful Hurricane. Santiago De Cuba was hit very badly and many people need help. Havana Café will be donating proceeds of the Sunday brunch to a hurricane relief program. 

We hope to see you there on Sunday, November 4th, 9:00 am-4:00 pm

Havana Café
1200 Bank St.
tel: 613 733-1200


Colours of the Autumn Harvest

Photo by Ed KucerakThe Ottawa Farmers' Market in the fall season provides a wonderful opportunity to visually explore the colours and shapes of the autumn harvest. The intense oranges and yellows reflect the brilliance of this time of year, while hidden among the produce, you can find some interesting surprises. The photos were shot hand-held with a small point-and-shoot camera.


Sommet des États généraux de la francophonie d'Ottawa

C'est avec grand plaisir que l'équipe des États généraux de la francophonie d'Ottawa vous convie, le 17 et le 18 novembre 2012, au nouveau Pavillon des sciences sociales de l’Université d’Ottawa. Le Sommet des États généraux couronnera la vaste consultation citoyenne qui a eu lieu auprès de la population francophone et francophile d’Ottawa.


OSCA Fall Fest 2012

And a 40% Chance of Rain

Photo by Tom AlfoldiMy neighbour, Don Thom, often tells me that a 40% chance of rain means a 60% chance of no rain, or that if he had a prognosis of a 40% chance of dying he would think that was a pretty good chance of living. So with that in mind on Sunday Sept.30th, we decided to go ahead with our plans to run the OSCA Fall Fest in Windsor Park. Check out the photo gallery here.

There was indeed a fine mist that fell throughout most of the festival but in the end my fellow organizers and myself were quite happy with our decision to go on with the event and we hope that the 150 or so participants are as well. It was actually a very good mood that covered the event; everyone seemed very mellow and happy to be outside, even though it was a little wet. We Canadians are hardy stock and this was quite evident on this day.


The Kickstand Sessions: Dutch and Danish Bicycle Planning for Future Cities

Two-Day Professional Training Session on Bicycle-Friendly and People-Friendly Cities

kickstandBicycle-friendly cities are people-friendly cities. Building a city that accommodates the bicycle means building an economically viable, sustainable and socially vibrant city.

This November and December, a team of internationally known experts from The Netherlands, Denmark, Canada and the United States are traveling across North America with an innovative training program called "The Kickstand Sessions".

Customized training sessions take European expertise and an understanding of North American context to develop solutions that suit the unique characteristics of each city. Trainers coach participants to discover local solutions in planning, policy, culture and marketing which will permit people of all ages, abilities, genders and ethnicities to bicycle more often.


Shop Your Local Talent Christmas Craft Show

tree 150OSCA presents a unique opportunity at the Firehall: to indulge in one-of-a-kind holiday shopping on Sunday, November 25, 2012, 10 am - 3 pm
The Firehall, 260 Sunnyside Avenue , with creations from over 30 local artists and artisans. Featuring jewelry, paintings, holiday cards, baked goods, knitting, quilting, bath items, photography, and more.

Sunday, November 25, 2012, 10 am - 3 pm
The Firehall, 260 Sunnyside Avenue
Free Admission

For more information, call 613-247-4946 or check out our Facebook page for additional details.


Cool Cats Cardboarding‏

OSCA families celebrated the International Cardboard Challenge and the Global Day of Play on Saturday Oct. 6, 2012 with this special last-minute event at the Firehall aptly organized by Rebekka Roy. 

cardboard-challenge-1In an era where parents are competing with ipods, television, movies and computers for entertainment, the cardboard box seems much too simplistic as a tool for family play. I know that, as a stay-at-home mom of two with a small home business, “plugging” my three year old into TVO kids for even 30 minutes can be a sanity saver. Enter the story of 9 year old Caine Monroy and his inspiring video about his cardboard arcade and the brilliance of being unplugged. If you haven’t had the opportunity to see the movie or visit www.cainesarcade.com, I would encourage you to bring a tissue and check it out.


The Night Circus: Sat. Nov. 17 8pm til Midnight

night circus A reminder, there are only a few tickets left for our annual special event. On sale at the Firehall, or here, online under Registration.

Come one, come all, to another magical evening, “The Night Circus”! An old fashioned 19th-century circus inspired by Erin Morgenstern’s book by the same name. Brought to you by the production team of the 21 Club and The Mad Men Party. All proceeds benefit OSCA’s Firehall programs. Live music with the fantastic band “Dry River Caravan”. Catering by Copper Pot Catering — Cash Bar hosted by Quinn — Performers — Fortune Tellers — Black and White attire/costume of any sort recommended — Over 19 years of age.


Fitness Workshop: Release & Rejuvenate Tight Muscles and Soft Tissue in Your Body

Using the wisdom of the East and the science of the West, we will focus on lengthening and releasing tension and tightness from connective tissue, muscles, tendons and fascia. This special 6 week session will use rollers (myofascial release) long held opening positions (similar to that in Yin Yoga), a resist/relax stretch technique (PNF), and the breath and the mind to help focus on the lengthening and releasing.

Perfect for any athlete or person of any age looking to lengthen out and release tension in the body. “…enriching life through mindful movement” Presented by long time Firehall Yoga and Pilates Instructor Lori Meyers bodyvida.wordpress.com.

Thursday, 8:00pm – 9:00pm            October 25 – November 29   $75

Registration now underway.


Contact us