Approved: Draft May 27, 2000
To make clear the principles on which nominations to the Board of Directors should be based and outline the procedures which should be followed.
- The Board of Directors of the Association should be broadly representative of the Ottawa South community and the individuals and groups within it.
- The Board of Directors themselves should actively encourage members of the community to come forward to serve on the Board and its committees.
- In encouraging members of the community to come forward to serve on
the Board consideration should be given to the following factors:
- that the membership reflects a fair balance of representatives from each of the neighbourhoods and areas within the Old Ottawa South community;
- that there is a reasonable gender balance;
- that major demographic groups within the community are reasonably represented (the elderly, post-secondary students, etc.);
- that major voluntary and other community service groups who have a significant stake in the effective functioning of the Old Ottawa South community from time to time are represented on the Board;
- that the individual would serve the Board well and be committed to the Association's objectives.
- Given the importance of encouraging the identification of potential candidates to serve on the Board, the Board should create a special Nominations Committee to identify such candidates and recommend their nomination to the Annual General Meeting of the Association.
- The Association and its Board also encourages individual members of OSCA to come forward at the Annual General Meeting and offer nominations to the Board:
- In order to give effect to the above principles, the Board should establish every year at its June meeting a nominating committee to:
- determine which Board members may be retiring;
- actively consult the community at large to identify potential candidates for the Board and its major committees; and
- present its report to the November Annual General Meeting in the form of nominations for new and returning Board members, for the consideration of-the membership at-tending the AGM.
- The nominating committee should consist of at least three members, of which at least two should be members of the existing Board of Directors.
- The committee should appoint a chair from amongst its members who shall be responsible for preparing its report and calling meetings of the Committee.
- At least three members of the committee or two-thirds o[-its membership, which ever is the greater number, must agree with the committee's nominating report.