Traffic & Safety Meeting Report – Information Items
Traffic and Safety Priorities for 2017-2018
It was agreed that the priorities for the Committee for 2017-18 would be:
- Advocating for a Safe Crossing of Colonel By between Avenue Rd and Bronson;
- Safety on the Bank St Bridge and intersections (including speed board data analysis;
- Obtaining and analyzing intersection data; advocating for consistency on Bank St;
- Parking issues;
- Greening of Bank Street;
- Possibilities of another Bike Rally hosted by another community;
Survey – Colonel By Safe Crossing
The Committee is working with Councilor Chernuchenko’s office and the NCC to develop a survey that will assess the need and preferred site for a safe crossing at Colonel By Drive
Illegal Left Turns onto Bank Street on both sides of the Bank Street Bridge
Flex sticks have been installed to deter illegal left-turns from the Echo ramp onto northbound Bank St. These sticks will come down in the winter and go back up in the spring. The City will monitor their effect on illegal left turns
A flashing “no-left-turns” sign will be installed at Bank & Wilton (north of the bridge).
The Green Dreamers are winding down for the season. For next season, the Green Dreamers would like to focus on the “Gateways” to OOS as well as on the park at the south end near Bank and Riverdale.
Sunnyside Rain Gardens are to be revamped by the City of Ottawa in the next few days.
South West OOS Group/Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club
The TS committee attended a meeting with OSS, the OTLBC, and a group of concerned residents to discuss traffic and parking around especially the Beach Volleyball league nights. A follow-up meeting is scheduled for February.
Hopewell School Traffic
- The City did a warrant assessment at Bank and Belmont, and determined there is no warrant for a crossing guard there,
- A warrant assessment will be done the spring of 2018 at Bank and Sunnyside to see if a second crossing guard is warranted there.
- The City told Hopewell that they cannot have a staff member with a sash and a stop sign directing traffic between the yards. For the time being staff will carry a DYI sign and only direct kids/pedestrians.
- The East-West lights at Aylmer & Bank have been changed to give an automatic green pedestrian light around Hopewell bell times.