24 Apr 2015
- Last Updated on 24 April 2015
- Written by OSCA
To advise the board and its committees on matters relating to communications, including the structures, budget, processes and tools used to by OSCA to implement an effective communications strategy.
- Provide OSCA with advice and guidance on strategic communications to address challenges and opportunities
- Implement key strategic priorities as approved by the Board to improve OSCA communications
- Liaise with stakeholders on communications needs and priorities to foster greater cohesion across the organization
- Develop processes and tools to facilitate the implementation of OSCA's communications strategy
- Ensure timely and effective communication with the community about community issues and OSCA programs, initiatives and events.
The Communications Committee is accountable to the Board and will supply copies of its minutes, reports, and other documents at monthly Board meetings.
The Committee has the authority to:
- Review materials related to communications and other documents relevant to its purpose
- Draft a work plan in support of the OSCA strategic plan for approval by the board of Directors
- Meet regularly to implement the work plan, determine best practices relative to its work and report regularly to the board
- Make recommendations to the board in relation to Articles, By-laws, member consultation and communication issues
- Regularly assess its progress and adjust the work plan
- Advise the board of major issues related to its mandate
- Document its work and progress and share this information with the Board
- Regularly review its Terms of Reference and make recommendations for changes to the Board of Directors
- Make recommendations to the Board on structure, process and budget required to implement its mandate.
Membership and Voting
Membership in the committee is open to interested Board members, staff, volunteers and other OSCA members from the community. The committee should include at minimum one person from OSCA staff, one person on the website team, and one person on the OSCAR staff. Membership is recorded through the email list.
All decisions are taken by consensus.
The Chair of the committee is a member of the Board. The Chair is determined in accordance with OSCA by-laws. The Chair is responsible for organizing the meetings of the committee and reporting on the committee's work to the Board.
Frequency of Meetings and Manner of Call
Meetings will be held on a monthly basis. For 2014, the meetings will be held on the fourth Wednesday of every month from 6:30pm - 8:00pm. The committee will review the meeting schedule on an annual basis. An email reminder will be sent to the committee with the agenda and the meetings will be announced at each Board meeting. Meetings will be announced on the website as well.
Quorum is 50% plus one. At least one member of the Board, in the absence of the Chair, should be present at all meetings to ensure reporting back to the Board.
The Chair of the committee, who is a member of the Board, will report to the Board every month. The Committee will also report on its work to the community through the website and other channels.
Date of last review: February 26th, 2014