Old Ottawa South Community Association

  • Ottawa South History Project

Stories

These are glimpses of Old Ottawa South's history: reproduced snippets of news items and notices describing the old, as if it were new.

A Brief History: 916 Colonel By Drive

Adapted from a house profile written by Gill Magnan. The first settlers to Old Ottawa South arrived in 1814. Lewis Williams and family came from Wales to the wilds of Upper Canada in 1818. Lewis purchased the south half of Lot “K”, Broken Concession”C”, Township of Nepean, approximately 111 acres between what is now Main and Bronson. Another well known pioneer family, headed by Alexander Mutchmor, built a lovely stone homestead, Abbotsford House, some time between 1867/72 on what is now the southwest corner of Holmwood and Bank. Alex was a farmer and entrepreneur and formed many interesting business alliances, one of which was a partnership with his cousin John Garland; Garland, Mutchmor & Co. Financial Agencies and Real Estate.
Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed

Contact us

613-247-4946