Traffic and Safety
The Traffic and Safety Committee advises the Old Ottawa South Community Association (OSCA) on issues related to traffic & transportation and is the Board’s primary liaison with residents, the City, and other organizations.
What does the Traffic Committee do? Through a variety of activities the committee:
- Encourages community dialogue on traffic issues affecting OOS
- Monitors development proposals for conformity with principles and policies endorsed by the Board
- Recommends policy positions to OSCA, following community consultation, analysis, and discussions with the City and other stakeholders
The Traffic Committee meets monthly, the first Tuesday of every month at 12:30p.m., at the Firehall.
Key issues on the committee’s agenda include:
- Promoting safe cycling in Old Ottawa South
- Lobbying for a safe crossing of Colonel By Drive between Avenue Road and Bronson
- Reducing danger on Bank Street, including the Bank Street Bridge, by eliminating speeding, red light running, and illegal left turns
- Increasing enforcement of parking bylaws
- Participating in greening projects to enhance the community and influence driver behaviour e.g. Green Dreamers
- Participating in safety evaluations
- Working with the City of Ottawa on traffic-calming initiatives
Do any of these topics interest you? Are you interested in doing more or would you like to share skills that could enhance these issues? Do you want to learn more about advocacy and/or lobbying? Do you want to engage in “greening” projects that will enhance your community and change driver behavior patterns? There is always room for more ideas and volunteers.
The Traffic and Safety Committee is a committee of the Old Ottawa South Community Association. To carry out its work, the committee collaborates with a number of different entities including the Councillor’s Office, City of Ottawa traffic officials, the National Capital Commission, the Hopewell School Parents’ Council, our neighbouring communities, and various informal residents’ groups in Old Ottawa South.
Traffic and safety matters are very near and dear to everyone’s heart and there is no lack of work for this committee to undertake. Each year, priorities must be set in order to direct our efforts.
At its meeting of October 3, 2017, the T&S Committee agreed on the following as its priorities for the upcoming 6-8 months: