Old Ottawa South Community Association

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting Minutes, June 5, 2018

Print Email

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting
Tuesday June 5 , 2018 – 5:30 pm
Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club
176 Cameron Avenue
Youth Room

  1. Introduction and Welcome

Present: Sue Neill (Chair), Brian Ure, Winnie Pietrykowski, Kathy Krywicki, Luc Pellerin (OSCA Board Member, Observer)

Regrets: Erik van der Torre, Caroline Clark

This was the first time the TS Committee had met at the OTLBC and at a new time – to be discussed at the end of the meeting.

Luc was welcomed as an observer and encouraged to participate. He will attend meetings of various groups in order to learn more about OSCA and determine where he would like to contribute.

  1. Minutes of the TS Meeting of May 8, 2018

Circulated, approved and posted on the OSCA web site.

  1. Business Arising from the Minutes
  2. Submission of Budget Items to the Board 

There was not time at the May 15 Board meeting for consideration of the funding request for the Green Dreamers.  This request will be brought forward again to the next Board meeting on June 19.

  1. Report from the OSCA Board Meeting of May 15, 2018 

There was generally a positive impression of the Board meeting and the possibilities of bringing about change seem high.  

Two officer positions remain vacant – Vice President and Secretary. These are to be filled at the next meeting.  It is not clear yet if there will be an Executive Committee as such. 

The Board approved the TS Committee membership as Sue (Chair), Brian, Winnie, Kathy, Erik and Caroline.

  1. TS Committee Business

 

  1. Colonel By Crossing 
  • Sue is awaiting an update from Zach in Catherine McKenna’s office. The Ontario election is probably occupying his time right now. Sue to follow up next week.
  • Reference was made to the letter from Mark Kristmanson, CEO of the NCC in response to the letter sent by Michael Jenkin on behalf of the OSCA Board.  Although a bit obscure, two phrases were found to be somewhat encouraging.  “The type of crossing the NCC would like to see and fund is an enhanced pedestrian crossing” and “the NCC is now looking at alternatives to carry the project forward”. 
  • Sue will suggest that OSCA respond to the letter picking up on these two points.
  1. Intersection Data 

Left until Erik returns.

  1. Safety on the Bank Street Bridge
  • Lighting on the Bank Street Bridge

Brighter lights have been installed on the Bank Street Bridge on a trial basis to enhance safety for cars, bikes and pedestrians.  It was agreed that the new lights were effective.  Sue to send note of support to the Councillor’s office

  • Planters Outside TD Place on Bank Street

The planters have been adjusted slightly and planted with annuals but still remain a hazard for cyclists attempting to negotiate the hairpin turn from the northern end of the Bank Street bridge to the QE Drive.  Sue/Winnie to write to the Councillor.

  • Installation of Flex Stakes on Echo Ramp 

The flex stakes have been re-installed as promised and seem to be discouraging illegal left turns on to Bank Street. The TS Committee will monitor and if the flex stakes seem to be effective, remind Ian of the City’s commitment, through him,  to make the structural change at the intersection of the ramp and Bank, permanent

  • Left turns at Wilton Cres.

The number of illegal left turns seems to have been reduced. However several  cars wanting to go north on Bank were seen to turn right but then make a U turn in the middle of the bridge to go north, or to go to Aylmer to either make a U turn or turn into someone’s driveway.

There is still work to be done on increasing safety on the Bank Street Bridge.  TS Committee to consider next steps at a future meeting.

  1. Red Light Cameras

No action on this right now but agreement that we need someone to take this on as a project – legislation, City Council position, criteria, next steps.  For discussion at the next meeting.

  1. Bike Rally and Rodeo 

There are now two volunteers to help with the bike rally.  Winnie to contact Sarah Fraser and determine if the project should go ahead and if so identify a date in September or October.

  1. Safer Roads Ottawa – signs 

“Slow Down for Us” signs have been installed on Ossington.  Winnie to contact Sylvia Manning to see how the distribution has gone.  Kathy reported that she had installed signs on posts along Seneca by Brewer park.  Sue/Winnie to put some up outside the Firehall on Thursday.

  1. Green Dreamers Update 

Green Dreamers have been actively weeding and cleaning up the gardens on Bank Street and have participated in a walkabout with a Master Gardener to discuss appropriate plants and arrangements. Wednesday and Saturday work parties are continuing.

  1. Review of Priorities for 2017 and process for setting Priorities for 2018

The existing priorities were reviewed and felt to be sufficient in the short term.  We will wait to see if there is any overall priority setting session at the Board level before doing anything further.  It may be time to undertake another community survey of TS issues in order to set priorities in the longer term.  Should this be part of a broader community survey or restricted to a TS survey? To be further discussed. 

  1. Communications

  1. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns (PSAs)

Kathy has prepared a column for the next OSCAR on changes to parking regulations.  Others in the future could involve cycling.  Should be one in each OSCA

  1. Future OSCAR Articles

Agreed that we should try to have an article from TS in each Oscar.  Sue and Winnie are preparing an article on the Bank Street trees for the next edition

  1. Liaison

 

  1. Southminster Development  

Nothing official although it appears that there may have been some kind of agreement reached which would move up the start date of the renovation.

  1. Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club 

Sue and Winnie attended the official opening of the Club and Brian, Kathy and Sue attended the first Community Beer Garden.  Both in support of the Club’s intention to be more engaged in the community.  This TS meeting was also held at the club at the invitation of the General Manager.

  1. Hopewell Parents Council 

No report since Erik is away.

  1. Seniors’ Initiative 

No report but a reminder that we should liaise with the Senior’s group

  1. New Bridge Naming Committee 

Kathy and Brian attended the meeting at which a name for the new bridge was selected and will be recommended to the City Council.  To be announced in due course.

  1. Next Meeting with Ian Grabina

Updates could be done by email or face-to-face at Sue’s discretion.

  1. Resident’s Concerns 

None have been brought to our attention at this time.

  1.     10.Other Business 

  1. Underpass at Billings Bridge 

The TS Committee responded to the request from the City for comment on the proposed underpass.  This led to a discussion of the above ground hazards at the Bank/Riverside intersection, especially for cyclists waiting to cross north to south.  The platform space is not large enough for cyclists and pedestrians.  Possibly for future consideration but really under the jurisdiction of Heron Park.

  1.     11.Next Meeting – July 10, 2018 at 5:30.  Possibly at the OTLBC but location to be confirmed.

Contact us

613-247-4946