Old Ottawa South Community Association

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting - Tuesday May 8, 2018 – 12:30

Print Email
  1. Introduction

Brian Chaired the meeting.

  1. Minutes of the TS Meeting of April 3, 2018

Suggested changes previously submitted – minutes posted on the OSCA website.

  1.  Business Arising from the Minutes
  1. Submission of Budget Items to Christy

Due to a misunderstanding, a budget for the TS Committee for 2018-19 was not submitted to Christy.  The amount allocated last year for the Green Dreamers was $800.  Brian has been in touch with Christy. Her advice was for Sue/Winnie to raise this as the first OSCA Board meeting.

  1. Invitation to Caroline Clark 

Caroline is interested in joining the Traffic and Safety Committee and can only meet in the evening. It was agreed that we should accommodate this and hold future TS meetings in the early evening.  Sue to contact Caroline and propose a start time of 5:30 pm.

  1. OSCAR Articles

All promised articles for the OSCAR were submitted and printed.

  1. Discussion of the OSCA AGM

All TS Committee members had attended the OSCA AGM.  Winnie, Brian and Sue have been named to the OSCA Board and the first meeting is May 15, 2018.  Brian is not available on that date.  Brian is interested in working in the environmental area, Sue in Traffic and Safety and Winnie with Volunteers.  Subject to Board approval, all members of the current TS Committee will stay on the Committee and Sue will be the Chair.

Brian will remind Michael Jenkin to circulate his “lessons learned” document to the new Board before the first meeting. It outlines the scope of the work to be undertaken by OSCA leadership.

  1. TS Committee Business
  1. Colonel By Crossing 

In spite of discouraging news from the City, the TS Committee agreed to continue to push for the safe crossing of Colonel By.  The Committee supports the design of crossing which the NCC favours – raised roadway and flashing crossing lights, and will continue our lobbying efforts to this end.  Sue to prepare and circulate follow up letters to the Councillor, Catherine McKenna and the NCC.

  1. Intersection Data

Erik presented the summary data on E/W Pedestrian signals for all stop lights on Bank Street.  It was noted that all intersections in the Glebe between Lansdowne and Glebe Avenue have automatic E/W pedestrian signals between 7 am and 7 pm.  Outside of those hours, push button is required.

It is the objective of the TS Committee to have the Glebe pattern continue into Old Ottawa South at all intersections from Aylmer to Riverdale.

In 53 locations in the City, the crossing time at intersections has been extended for seniors. Given the location of the Colonel By Retirement home, the library and the Church, an extended green will be requested for Bank and Aylmer.

Erik will prepare a letter to David Chernushenko stating our position and asking for assistance in making the above changes happen.

  1. Collision Data 

This project has been dropped now. May be raised again if we take up the challenge of dealing with the inconsistent pattern of intersections with 2-way and 4-way/all directions stops.

  1. Safety on the Bank Street Bridge 
  • Lighting on the Bank Street Bridge

The experimental lights have been installed. Question is how to provide feedback

  • PlantersOutside TD Place on Bank Street

Sue has written to Ian about this – will follow up

  • Installation of Flex Stakeson Echo Ramp – when to be re-installed
  • South going speed boardon the bridge – still broken? Sue to check.

Sue to write to Ian about the points in d above).

  • Also TS Committee to liaise with GCA about having a sign posted on Queen Elizabeth Place directing northbound traffic on to Monk Street – to reduce illegal left turns at Wilton Place on to Bank Street north. Sue to follow up with the GCA.
  1. Red Light Cameras

A question relating to red light cameras was submitted to the Provincial All Candidates meeting to be held in the Glebe on May 17, 2018.

  1. Bike Rally and Rodeo 

No response to Winnie’s article yet asking for volunteers to help. Sarah Fraser is willing to lead a fall bike rally.

  1. Safe Roads Ottawa – signs 

50 “slow down for us” signs are in the store room at the Firehall.  Winnie will ask Sylvia Manning to install some in her area of OOS.  A picture and offer of signs will be placed in the OSCAR and NBtB (Kathy).  More signs to be installed in the Fall when children are back in school.

  1. Green Dreamers Update 

At an informal meeting last Friday, it was decided that the Green Dreamers would begin gardening on May 26. Also ideas about how to do things differently were discussed – adopt a garden, liaising with other gardening groups, use of students who need credits etc.

  1. TS Committee 2017/18 Priorities 

Priorities for 2018/19 to be discussed at the next meeting when all committee members are present.

  1. Communications
  1. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns

Kathy and Winnie to prepare a brief announcement for the next OSCAR (date May 11). All members to send suggestions for topics.

  1. Future OSCAR Articles

Next “article” will be a photo to the Slow down sign with offer of signs to be available for installation.  Contact trafficandsafety@oldottawasouth.ca.

  1. Liaison
  1. Southminster Development  

The appeal to the OMB is still ongoing but discussions are underway between Windmill and the appellant to resolve the issues. If the issues can be resolved, work could possibly begin next spring.

  1. Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club 

At the invitation of the OTLBC General Manager, Winnie and Sue attended the official opening of the club on Saturday May 5, 2018.  Discussions about ongoing traffic and parking issues in this quadrant of OOS will continue.

  1. Hopewell Parents Council – nothing to report
  1. Seniors’ Initiative

Winnie and Sue met with Anna Cuylits and Barbara Brown to exchange information about the TS Committee and the newly formed Seniors Watch.  In order to avoid overlap in mandates, information sharing will be essential.  It was suggested that any traffic issues identified by Seniors Watch be referred to the TS Committee.

  1. New Bridge Naming Committee 

Kathy and Brian are members of the Naming Committee. Voting for one of the top five names will take place on May 28, 2018 in order to be taken to the last City Council Meeting before the summer break.

  1. Resident’s Concerns
  1. Email from Kris Munden re trucks on Grove 

An email was received asking for information about the TS Committee. Sue replied and there has been no further communication.

  1. Other Business
  1. Underpass at Billings Bridge – comments requested 

Sue to provide a response from the TS Committee. Good idea but we know it is problematic in the spring because of the example on the north side of the bridge. 

  1. Next Meeting–Tuesday June 5  at 5:30 pm at the OTLBC (subject to space availability and Caroline’s availability). Sue to contact.

Neither Brian nor Erik will be attending but it was agreed to go ahead in order to provide an initiation for Caroline and any other new members.  Full discussion of priorities to take place when all are present.

  1. Meeting adjourned at 2 45 pm.
Last modified on Thursday, 09 August 2018 17:04

Contact us

613-247-4946