Old Ottawa South Community Association

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting Minutes -Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Print Email

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Lounge at the Firehall

 

Present: Erik van der Torre, Kathy Krywicki, James Grant, Winnie Pietrykowski, Brian Ure, Sue Neill (Chair)

Regrets: Janet Jull

  1. Introduction and Welcome

Main purpose of the meeting today is to discuss and agree on the priority objectives of the Committee for 2019/20

  1. Minutes of the TS Meeting of Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Approved as circulated and posted on the OSCA Website.

  1. Finalization of 2019/20 Priorities

Following an exercise in which members of the Committee were asked to prioritize independently a list of previously discussed objectives, a list of emailed responses was compiled by the Chair for discussion at the meeting.

Following discussion, the Chair agreed to compile a revised list and circulate to members for input.

The final list is to be submitted on March 14, 2019 for discussion and approval at the March 19, 2019 meeting of the OSCA Board.

Following approval, an article will be prepared for the OSCAR and comment from the readers sought.

  1. Priority Business
  2. Intersections Report, Recommendations and Next Steps (Erik)

Request to the City to remove the beg buttons on the traffic signals going east and west on Bank Street has been approved and successfully implemented.  Shawn Menard had intervened with the City to assist in achieving this objective. Congratulations to Erik for his work on this!

Still remaining to be negotiated – beg buttons to be removed at Bank and Riverdale, and possibly at other intersections along Riverdale, also advanced pedestrian signals to be installed at all intersections. Erik to follow up.

  1. Colonel By Pedestrian Crossing at Seneca (Sue)

Shawn Menard has become involved in this file and has met with the OPS and the City.  He has informed us that he should have news for us in a couple of weeks.

Sue to write to Shawn’s assistant to reinforce the priorities of the Committee with regard to this intersection.

  1. Bike Rally (Winnie)

Invitations have been issued to local politicians and community associations in Capital Ward. David Chernushenko is interested in being involved in a creative way. Next meeting of the Organizing Committee is March 28.

  1. Communications
  2. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns

Kathy to consider using some information from material circulated by James on impact of speed and seriousness of injuries.

  1. Future OSCAR Articles

Article on priorities to be prepared once agreed by the Board.

  1. Liaison Updates
  2. FCA Transportation Committee (Brian) – Next meeting Wednesday, March 6, 2019. Brian to attend.
  3. Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club (Winnie) Ongoing re the Bike Rally
  4. Hopewell Parents Council

Erik to send Winnie the co-ordinates for the Co-chairs of the Parent’s Council so they can be invited to participate in the Bike Rally.

  1. Glebe Traffic Committee

To be contacted once the priorities are agreed by the Board.

  1. Capital Ward Council – nothing new
  2. SWOOS- nothing new
  3. Other Business

Agreed that we should hold a special planning meeting to develop a strategy and plan for the Bank Street Bridge project – possibly in June.

  1. Next Meeting – Tuesday April 2, 2019

Contact us

613-247-4946