Planning Committee Report
Chair: Steve Mennill
Committee Members: Beth Everson, Barb Williams, Carol Brascoupe, Kristina Leaning, Robert Ramsay, Sophie Beecher, Ahmed Atalla, Anna Cuylits (co-chair for first part of the year)
- Encouraging community dialogue on planning and development issues affecting Old Ottawa South
- Recommending policy positions to the OSCA board on planning issues where appropriate, following community consultation, analysis, and discussions with public bodies, developers and other stakeholders
- Articulating OSCA’s views and positions through such documents as policy statements, principles, and making representations to the City and other public bodies
- Promoting the creation and adoption of formal, neighbourhood- specific planning policies e.g. secondary plan
- Monitoring development proposals for conformity with principles and policies adopted by the Board
Community Design Plan
- Ottawa`s Official Plan calls for the creation of neighbourhood-specific planning policies to be developed through ``community design plans`` (CDP)
- A CDP would provide our community with an opportunity to clearly articulate a long term vision:
- What are the planning and development goals for OOS?
- Where should new development go?
- What type of development is needed and appropriate?
- Multi-year process to be led by City but supported heavily by OSCA
- OSCA has been advocating for OOS to be advanced on the priority list
Pre-application Consultation Pilot
- City of Ottawa is piloting a process where community associations attend consultations prior to submission of formal development applications
Representatives must sign non-disclosure agreements
OSCA is participating in the pilot
- We have attended five consultations under the pilot – none of the projects have advanced to formal application stage yet
- Old Ottawa South has identified infill housing as a major concern for our neighbourhood, specifically buildings that change the street character and are too massive in terms of height and setbacks.
- The City is regulating these aspects through two zoning by-laws:
- Infill I (ZBL 2012-147): front yards, setbacks, grades and parking
- Infill II (being appealed at OMB): massing, height, side and rear yard set backs