Heritage Designation for Southminster

Heritage Designation for Southminster

On January 24, 2024, Ottawa City Council approved the heritage designation of Southminster United Church at 1040 Bank Street. More designations will come forward this year due to changes to the Ontario Heritage Act. Staff have been identifying properties across all wards that are strong candidates for designation under Part IV of the Act. Those properties will then be prioritized based on risk, program diversification, geography and architectural significance. Read the report outlining the…

Heritage Designation: 692 Echo Drive

Heritage Designation: 692 Echo Drive

On November 22, 2023, City Council issued a notice of intention to designate 692 Echo Drive under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act*. According to the Statement of Cultural Heritage Value the following aspects of the property were considered. Constructed in 1913, the building at 692 Echo Drive is a representative example of Edwardian Classicism, which was popular in Canada between 1900 and 1930. The architectural features of the building which are characteristic…

Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club

Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club

Extract from the City of Ottawa Heritage Evaluation Form report to the Built Heritage Committee December 10, 2019 The Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club (OTLBC) and its grounds are rich in history.  The clubhouse reflects early 20th century middle-class life in Ottawa and is associated with individuals and an organization who are notable in Ottawa’s past. As an integral feature along the shore of the Rideau River, and part of the Old Ottawa…

Ottawa South Fire Station

Ottawa South Fire Station

Front (north) facade (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) 260 Sunnyside Avenue 1921 Institutional  View additional images of building. The Old Firehall – Ottawa South Community Centre The elaborate Spanish Revival style tells us at a glance that this building was designed by Werner Ernst Noffke (1878 – 1964), one of Ottawa’s best-known architects of the early 20th century. It is also the third-oldest surviving structure built as a fire station in the city. Its construction in…

Hopewell Avenue Public School

Hopewell Avenue Public School

South facade of old building facing Hopewell Avenue (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) 17 Hopewell Avenue1910 and laterEducational View additional images of building. The first school on the present Hopewell Avenue Public School site dates back to the 1830s or 1840s. It was a one-room log building with a few windows, a small door, and a wood stove. By the end of the 1870s, this was replaced by a brick building with semi-circular arched windows and…

Bank Street Bridge

Bank Street Bridge

  South part (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008)   North part (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) Bank Street Bridge over the Rideau Canal 1912, *restored in 1993Infrastructure The Bank Street Canal Bridge carries Bank Street along a roughly north – south direction over the Rideau Canal, linking The Glebe to Old Ottawa South. It also passes over Queen Elizabeth and Colonel By drives, each of which extends along one side of the canal.

Williams House

Williams House

Northern facade facing Southern Drive (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 96 Southern Drive1820s and laterResidential View additional images of building. An 1827 map of the vicinity around the still-new settlement of Bytown shows the residence of Lewis Williams on this site, across the Rideau River from the house of Braddish Billings. The map is on display at the Billings Estate Museum. On this basis, it is believed that the original portion of this frame structure dates…

Southminster United Church

Southminster United Church

Main (east) facade (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 15 Aylmer Street (intersection of Aylmer Avenue and Bank Street) 1931 Religious View additional images of building. Two congregations in Ottawa South, the Methodist and Presbyterian, united to build Southminster United Church in 1931 on the site of the former Methodist Church, which had been built in 1909 but torn down to make way for the new building.

Monastery of the Precious Blood / Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons

Monastery of the Precious Blood / Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons

Front (north) facade (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 774 Echo Drive1914 – 23Institutional View additional images of building. This Sisters of the Precious Blood, a contemplative order of nuns founded in St. Hyacinthe, Quebec, came to Ottawa in 1887. In 1898, they purchased the MacKay estate on Echo Drive, which included a large stone house. The house was demolished and in 1914 work began on a new convent designed by Alphonse Contant. However, construction came to…

End of content

End of content