The challenge of identifying this (Old) Ottawa South house looks to be solved. Bob Simpson had found this real-estate ad in The Ottawa Citizen Saturday February 7, 1925.
Thanks to Bob Simpson for tracking down this sales ad from a century ago touting the wonderful selling points of properties in this neighbourhood area that came to be known as Oakland Heights, likely from its tree canopy. From the Ottawa Citizen 7-June-1913
Joining the western side of Brewer Park to the Carleton University campus is a well-used footbridge tucked alongside the Rideau River. The construction material is quintessentially Canadian: the railings are made of wooden hockey sticks! The commemorative plaque, somewhat worn and graffiti-ed, installed on the bridge reads:
Almost a hundred years ago, Brighton Beach in Ottawa South was touted as one of the best places for bathing in the city. This clipping is from The Ottawa Journal on June 17, 1921, where plans for the opening of the diving tower and accompanying party were revealed.
The fate of two institutions, which formed a core element for generations of families in Old Ottawa South, may be coming together. Not the two institutions themselves, but their remnants.
On Saturday, October 19, 2019 Trinity Anglican Church celebrated 140 years in Old Ottawa South. The ceremony recounted the church’s history and highlights of the parish over the many years with story-telling, music, and reflection on both the past and future.
Longing for a cool place in these dog days of summer? A nearby swimming hole would be an ideal place to spend some time. In the past, the residents of Ottawa South had a wonderful spot, a beach at the end of Brighton Avenue, now a park with grass and trees, but formerly a haven for aquatic activities on the Rideau River.
In 1981 Charlotte Gobeil got a rare look inside the Monastère du Précieux Sang then located at 774 Echo Drive in Ottawa South. Her visit with a documentary crew to the Sisters Adorers of the Precious Blood captures a fascinating glimpse of these cloistered nuns. Ms. Gobeil was welcomed by this contemplative order to witness the women’s daily life of devotion.
In 1907, one of the arguments to convince residents of the Village of Ottawa East to vote favourably on amalgamation into the City of Ottawa was that was the city would use its influence with the Dominion Government to secure a bridge over the Rideau Canal at Mutchmor Street (Fifth Avenue) connecting to Clegg Street. Only a few years later we have implementation of this capital idea!
In some ways, not too much has changed in fifteen years—on the eve of a move away from Old Ottawa South, a resident recounts what he’ll miss most about the neighbourhood in this article from the June 2004 OSCAR. Ten things I love (and will miss) about Old Ottawa South — By Jim Watson
End of content
End of content