This website created by Sarah Simpkin shows links to historical aerial photos cross-referenced to a current day map.
Bank Street Bridge over the Rideau Canal
1912, *restored in 1993
The Bank Street Canal Bridge carries Bank Street along a roughly north – south direction over the Rideau Canal, linking The Glebe to Old Ottawa South. It also passes over Queen Elizabeth and Colonel By drives, each of which extends along one side of the canal.
A park, a pool, a pond, an arena, a roadway. Ever wonder about the name associated with the south-west section of the neighbourhood? Was Old Ottawa South once a hotbed for beer-making activity? Well, maybe. But more important to the area was one Thomas H. Brewer, early resident of Ottawa South. He was a founder of the Ottawa South Municipal Association and a chairman of the Ottawa Amateur Sports Association. From the Ottawa Evening Citizen October 21, 1936, his obituary:
Did you know that Hopewell Avenue was named after Ottawa's mayor from 1909 to 1912 Charles Hopewell? After the suburb of Old Ottawa South was annexed into the city of Ottawa in 1907, Hopewell was instrumental in getting the streetcar line extended over the Bank Street bridge into the rapidly expanding neighbourhood. The streetcar ran along a route roughly the equivalent as today's #7 bus route. The school was built in 1910 but there had been a school on the site since the 1830s. Here's a bit more about his life and death and role in the nation's captial.