fbpx

Old Ottawa South Community Association

  • Ottawa South History Project

Heritage Properties Map

Legend

  • blue pin = designated heritage property
  • red pin = significant heritage property
  • green pin = Heritage Survey 2009 property

Echo Bank House

View of driveway leading to house entrance (Kathy Krywicki, 2008)

View of driveway leading to house entrance (Kathy Krywicki, 2008)

700 Echo Drive
c. 1865
Residential

View additional images of building.

This 2 1/2 storey stone house represents a transition from stolid Georgian symmetry to a more Romantic sensibility in the Ottawa area. It was built for Colonel George Hay, a prominent hardware merchant and president of the Bank of Ottawa. Tradition has it that, while serving as one of the city’s first aldermen, Hay suggested that Bytown be renamed Ottawa. Further, it was in this very house that Hay is said to have designed the city’s first coat of arms.

Read more...

City of Ottawa Funds Heritage Survey in Old Ottawa South

The Ottawa South History Project received some fantastic news in early March 2009: the City of Ottawa is awarding $6,000 toward our Heritage Survey project allowing us to hire a student this summer to conduct the detailed research and field work from May through August 2009. Now we need residents of Old Ottawa South to step forward as volunteers to assist with project activities, or as donors to help complete the fundraising.

What is the Heritage Survey project?

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed
  • 1
  • 2

Contact us

613-247-4946