Posted by: Jean-Claude Dubé
Ottawa Motor Boat Assocation Lease on Rideau Canal
Research notes from examining this document at LAC:
Title: Lease of Rideau Canal Frontage along Echo Drive between Riverdale and Bank St to Ottawa Motor Boat Association
Order-in-Council PC 982, 25 April 1912
Minutes, annexes and reports 1912/04/18 to 1912/04/27 textual records
Other control number R-39
Note: textual records were searched because PC 982 was not found by author in LAC microfilm T 5017
PC 982 is based on a memorandum dated 18th April 1912 from the Ministry of Railways and Canals (not available)
giving authority for the grant of a lease ?during pleasure? to the Ottawa Motor Boat Association of a water lot ( not land ) of 2.37 acres on the South side of the Rideau Canal opposite the Exhibition Grounds
the lot starts just North of Pig island and follows the shore line 1000 feet westward toward Bank St and stops at the Eastern edge of the Nuns of the Precious Blood property line. This water lots extends 100 feet over the water
situated in lot letter K and concession letter C in the Township of Nepean
rental for a nominal sum of $1 per year
the property (water lot) is required for erecting a boat house thereon
access to the property is the gained by one flight of steps only, from Echo Drive down
there are no rights nor privileges to the Canal banks
no trees are to be cut on the Canal banks
no gasoline is to be kept in the main building except that which can be carried to the boat tanks
gasoline can be stored in Bowser (underground) tanks or else in a suitable isolate building designed for the purpose and approved by insurance companies
all plans of buildings and stairs to be submitted and approved by the Ministry of Railways and Canals
Attached is PC982(a), giving a description by Metes and Bounds of the leased property covered by water and is signed by A.T.Phillips, Suptg.Engineer, Rideau Canal Office, Ottawa, April 15th 1912.
A copy is given to R.Coplan (?) (name not very legible) on April 26, 1912
The accompanying map (PC982(b)) is the same as what we have on our website.
Note: of interest in this map also is that the part of Riverdale that extends south-west from Echo Drive intersection to Bank St is described as Old Prescott Road.