Posted by: Kathy Krywicki
A hundred years ago, Old Ottawa South was considered the suburbs of Ottawa. Annexed to the City of Ottawa in 1907, Ottawa South was praised as a prime residential area in the June 17, 1910 edition of the Ottawa Citizen.
Ottawa South to Fore as Residential Section
The casual visitor to that part of Ottawa’s suburbs known as Ottawa South cannot fail to be struck by the marked advance this section of the city has had within a comparatively recent period. On every hand one sees the evidence of growth, and that it will soon become, and is on a fair way to becoming now, one of the most important residential sections of the city is freely predicted.
That Ottawa South property as an investment proposition will be in a few years what the Glebe is today, is the opinion expressed on all sides. From its location, Ottawa South is essentially a residential section, compromising as it does that parcel of land lying between the Rideau canal and the Rideau river and extending east and west from Elm [Riverdale] to Concession [Bronson] street. The demand for building lots has been quite brisk this year, and already on every hand we may see signs of activity in the building line. New residences are springing up on every hand, most of them substantial brick homes. With excellent drainage system, a prospect of the street railway extending its Bank street line through the district, and many other natural and economic advantages, there is every reason to believe that the future of Ottawa South is assured.
There are many investors in real estate who evidently consider this time has already arrived. A number of prominent gentlemen, including V.V. Rogers, have recently purchased two hundred acres of the most desirable land in the section, and have divided it up into building lots, which are rapidly being disposed of. This tract compromises the tract between the Rideau river and the canal, extending west almost to Hog’s Back.
Here they have set to work and already many permanent improvements have been accomplished. Roadways are being built, grades levelled, low spots filled in, and many of the natural beauties of the place have been considerably enhanced. A beautiful driveway, with rustic bridges, has been built along the Rideau river, extending from one end of the property to the other. It is said to be the intention of the Ottawa South Property Company, who are owners of the tract, to donate this driveway to the Ottawa Improvement commission [National Capital Commission] on the completion of the operations. Plans have been prepared for the laying out of the property so that it will become one of the most desirable sections of the city.
From Rideau Heights, at the west end of the property, the view is a magnificent one, overlooking a stretch of the Rideau river for several miles in length. That part of the property situated within the city limits has a fixed assessment for the next six years, considerably lower than that in the city. The place is an ideal spot for quiet home life, and as such is expected to attract great attention.
Ultimately, the grand plans of the Ottawa South Property Company were never accomplished, but the area of Old Ottawa South thrives nonetheless.
Read more about the history of the Ottawa South Property Company here.