Posted by: Kathy Krywicki
From the Old Time Stuff (OTS) column May 30, 1931 Ottawa Citizen the note about a house built 34 years prior, that is, in 1897, as the first house on Sunnyside Avenue east of Bank Street.
A Part of Ottawa Was Known as Oakland Heights
That was when C.C. Ray some 35 years ago put on a subdivision which embraced Bank, Sunnyside, Belmont and Riverdale. Sunnyside Ave. East of Bank Street had a high grade.
When Wm H. Sproule built a home on Sunnyside Avenue just east of Bank Street, thirty-four years ago, his was the only house on that street east of Bank Street. There were a few houses west of Bank, not many at that—possibly half a dozen.
Mr. Sproule tells us that when he moved on to Sunnyside avenue the grade of the street was much higher than now—from four to five feet near Bank and from 5 to 10 feet closer to Riverdale.
The grade remained that way till after 1907, when Ottawa South became part of Ottawa.
Called Oakland Heights
At that time the district between Sunnyside, Belmont, Bank and Riverdale was known as Oakland Heights. The land was owned by Mr. C.C. Ray (who is still with us) and was subdivided by him under that title. But after some years, (after it became part of the city, this subdivision and all other subdivisions assumed the general title of “Ottawa South”, a title which it holds to this day.
The McKay Home
When Mr. Sproule moved on to Sunnyside Avenue there was no big convent behind him, as at present. The property was then still in the hands of the Thomas McKay family.
Mr. Sproule as a pioneer has watched Ottawa South grow from a very little place to a place of size and importance.
Note: Wm H. Sproule, a jeweller, is listed in the 1909 Ottawa city directory at 151 Sunnyside, one house east of Bank Street. The numbering along the street changed in 1916 and the house number is now 271 Sunnyside.