Posted by: Kathy Krywicki
In 1907, one of the arguments to convince residents of the Village of Ottawa East to vote favourably on amalgamation into the City of Ottawa was that was the city would use its influence with the Dominion Government to secure a bridge over the Rideau Canal at Mutchmor Street (Fifth Avenue) connecting to Clegg Street. Only a few years later we have implementation of this capital idea!
We’ve come a long way.
The newly opened Flora Footbridge is named to commemorate the Honourable Flora MacDonald, Canada’s first female foreign minister, who often speed-skated to work on the canal when she lived nearby in the Glebe.