Posted by: Kathy Krywicki
On Saturday, October 19, 2019 Trinity Anglican Church celebrated 140 years in Old Ottawa South. The ceremony recounted the church’s history and highlights of the parish over the many years with story-telling, music, and reflection on both the past and future.
This OSCAR article reprinted from March 1993 by then editor Catherine Allen tells of some of the early history of the church, from the beginnings in 1876 as the villagers of Billings Bridge organized to establish a new Church of England mission called Trinity Church Mission, resulting in the construction of Trinity Anglican Church on Bank Street at Cameron Avenue in Ottawa South with the opening service in 1879. This first structure was destroyed by fire in 1947 and rebuilt as the church we see today.