Old Ottawa South Community Association

  • Ottawa South History Project

Ottawa South History Project

We are a group of local amateur historians who research, document, and present information about the history of Old Ottawa South in a fun and informative way. Get in touch with us, the Ottawa South History Project (OSHP), at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

In this section

Heritage Properties

Descriptions and photos of key historical and heritage properties within Old Ottawa South.

View items...

Long reads

Essays and reflections on the history of Old Ottawa South.

View items...


Glimpses of Old Ottawa South's history: local stories of the past, research findings, and snippets of old news items.

View items...

Researching Properties at the City of Ottawa Archives

Ever wanted to trace the background of a house or property? Or are you looking for historical maps or photos of a street or local area? The City of Ottawa Archives has a number of resources that can assist researchers who wish to learn more about the history of a particular property or neighbourhood.

From the Archives: Whither "Ottawa South"

In the 1990s the burgeoning development of South Ottawa, in areas such as Hunt Club and Greenboro, triggered a move to distinguish Ottawa South from other parts of the the city by changing the neighbourhood name to 'Old Ottawa South'.

Ottawa South History Project Photo Gallery

We have gathered a large collection of historical photos and images related to our neighbourhood of Ottawa South.  Of special note is a an Ottawa South slideshow compiled by John Calvert in 2007 for the 100th anniversary of the annexation of Ottawa South to the City of Ottawa. You can browse the Ottawa South History Project (OSHP) photo gallery here.

Hopewell Avenue Public School

South facade of old building facing Hopewell Avenue (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) 17 Hopewell Avenue 1910 and laterEducational View additional images of building. The first school on the present Hopewell Avenue Public School site dates back to the 1830s or 1840s. It was a one-room log building with a few windows, a small door, and a wood stove. By the end of the 1870s, this was replaced by a brick building with semi-circular arched windows and doors, as well buff-colored brick at the corners to give the impression of rusticated stone. This newer building had two small classrooms and was heated by stoves connected by long pipes that ended at the building’s chimney.

Bank Street Bridge

South part (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) North part (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) Bank Street Bridge over the Rideau Canal 1912, *restored in 1993 Infrastructure View additional images of structure. The Bank Street Canal Bridge carries Bank Street along a roughly north – south direction over the Rideau Canal, linking The Glebe to Old Ottawa South. It also passes over Queen Elizabeth and Colonel By drives, each of which extends along one side of the canal.

Williams House

Northern facade facing Southern Drive (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 96 Southern Drive 1820s and later Residential View additional images of building. An 1827 map of the vicinity around the still-new settlement of Bytown shows the residence of Lewis Williams on this site, across the Rideau River from the house of Braddish Billings. The map is on display at the Billings Estate Museum. On this basis, it is believed that the original portion of this frame structure dates from 1827, placing it among the oldest frame buildings in Ottawa. Williams and his family were among the first settlers of the region, arriving in 1817.
Subscribe to this RSS feed

Contact us