Old Ottawa South Community Association

  • Ottawa South History Project

Ottawa South History Project

We are a group of local amateur historians who research, document, and present information about the history of Old Ottawa South in a fun and informative way. Get in touch with us, the Ottawa South History Project (OSHP), at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

In this section

Heritage Properties

Descriptions and photos of key historical and heritage properties within Old Ottawa South.

Read the story of No. 10 Graham Station, designed by Werner Noffke, and how it become the Ottawa South Community Centre, also known as "The Old Firehall".

View items...

Long reads

Essays and reflections on the history of Old Ottawa South.

View items...


Glimpses of Old Ottawa South's history: local stories of the past, research findings, and snippets of old news items.

View items...

Echo Bank House

View of driveway leading to house entrance (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 700 Echo Drivec. 1865Residential View additional images of building. This 2 1/2 storey stone house represents a transition from stolid Georgian symmetry to a more Romantic sensibility in the Ottawa area. It was built for Colonel George Hay, a prominent hardware merchant and president of the Bank of Ottawa. Tradition has it that, while serving as one of the city’s first aldermen, Hay suggested that Bytown be renamed Ottawa. Further, it was in this very house that Hay is said to have designed the city’s first coat of arms.
Photo by Abraham Plunkett-Latimer.

Poaps House - 66 Barton St

Property Title: 66 Barton Street Address: 66 Barton Street (Lot 2, West Side Barton Avenue) Introduction The home at 66 Barton Street is a large, two-story, brick, cross-gable home built in 1897 By Jacob Vincent Poaps, an aspiring Ottawa merchant. It remained in the Poaps family throughout almost the entire twentieth century until 1987.
Photo by Nolan Cipriano.

Cuthbertson House - 706 Echo Dr

Property Title: 706 Echo Drive Address: 706 Echo Drive (Lot 10 Echo Drive, part of lot K, concession C, Nepean Township) Introduction The house built on lot 10 on the subdivision of part of Lot K, concession C, Nepean Township is a large brick home with a two-story front bay window situated on a large lot with mature trees and a shed. It was built in 1912 at the request of the contractor James Cuthbertson. It has been home to many notable figures in the Ottawa Community.

Sunnyside and Seneca Four Corners

Property Title: The Corner of Sunnyside Avenue and Seneca Street Address: 431, 435, 437 Sunnyside Avenue and 41, 43, and 44 Seneca Street, Ottawa, Ontario. Introduction The corner of Sunnyside Avenue and Seneca Street currently comprises four buildings which combine commercial and domestic spaces. In the early period of Old Ottawa South’s development (pre-1950) this corner had particular importance as one on which Ottawa’s streetcars turned. It has continuously included commercial spaces since 1907.

Evans House - 175 Belmont Ave

Property Title: 175 Belmont Avenue Address: 175 Belmont Avenue (Lot 17, north side of Belmont Avenue) Introduction The house located at 175 Belmont Avenue in Ottawa, Ontario was constructed in 1898 by Elizabeth Evans, a widow with several children the oldest of which, Grace Evans, was a co-owner. It is a large 2 ½ story brick-veneered frame house with a side hall plan, front-facing gable, and pitched roof. It functioned as a rental property for the Evans family until Grace Evans’s death in 1965. The house is typical of middle class homes at the turn of the twentieth century. 1 At the time of its construction, a sister duplex was built for Elizabeth Evans at 183 Belmont which also functioned as a rental property providing income for the Evans family.

Belmont Avenue South Side

Property Title: South Side Belmont Avenue Between Willard Street and Bellwood Street. Address: 170, 172, 174, 176, 178, 180, 182, 184, 190 Belmont Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario. Introduction The block located between Willard and Bellwood Avenues in Old Ottawa South comprises a series of homes built between 1916 and 1930. All of the lots feature 1920s Prairie Style architecture, and are situated on intensely developed urban building lots. This street represents development in Old Ottawa South in the 1920s and the transition of the neighbourhood from a suburban to urban space.

Gorman House - 38 Euclid Ave

Property Title: 38 Euclid Avenue Address: 38 Euclid Avenue (Lot 6, south side of Euclid Avenue) Introduction The house located at 38 Euclid Avenue was constructed in 1896-7 by Mary Gorman, a widow with six children. It is a modest, wood- framed and –clad house based on a side hall plan with a pitched roof and a front-facing gable end. The property remained in the ownership of Gorman’s descendents until 1971, serving as the childhood home of hockey player and entrepreneur, Tommy Gorman, from 1896 to c. 1908.1
Subscribe to this RSS feed

Contact us