fbpx

Old Ottawa South Community Association

  • Ottawa South History Project
Milestone Anniversary for Glebe Collegiate Institute

Milestone Anniversary for Glebe Collegiate Institute

Plans are underway for celebrating Glebe Collegiate’s 100th anniversary in 2022-2023! Glebe School Council is seeking input from community and alumni for ideas to mark the special occasion. We are holding a brainstorming session at Glebe Collegiate on February 6, 2020 at 7pm. Spread the word and come on out and join us!

Read more...
Trinity Anglican Church to celebrate 140 years of service in OOS

Trinity Anglican Church to celebrate 140 years of service in OOS

Come celebrate Trinity Anglican’s 140th year anniversary at the corner of Bank Street and Cameron Avenue, in OOS, on Saturday, October 19th, 2019, from 2 to 4 pm. For this very special occasion, Music at Trinity will dedicate its October concert to this anniversary. We are planning to celebrate the contribution of generations beyond our founding members, with a fun afternoon of narration and music, followed by a light reception. You will learn many fun facts about our history and be well entertained with selections of music reflecting the various periods of Trinity’s life.

Read more...

A Fantastic Footbridge Finally!

In 1907, one of the arguments to convince residents of the Village of Ottawa East to vote favourably on amalgamation into the City of Ottawa was that was the city would use its influence with the Dominion Government to secure a bridge over the Rideau Canal at Mutchmor Street (Fifth Avenue) connecting to Clegg Street. Only a few years later we have implementation of this capital idea!

Read more...
Corner of Bank Street and Echo Drive, ca 1950s.

History Of The Sunnyside Library

The Sunnyside branch of the Ottawa Public Library is one of the gems of our Old Ottawa South neighbourhood. Much loved and very well used by young and old, it has been in existence almost as long as the entire Ottawa library system itself, but of course it looked very different in the beginning.

Read more...

Hopewell Avenue Public School

South facade of old building facing Hopewell Avenue (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008)

17 Hopewell Avenue
1910 and later
Educational

View additional images of building.

The first school on the present Hopewell Avenue Public School site dates back to the 1830s or 1840s. It was a one-room log building with a few windows, a small door, and a wood stove. By the end of the 1870s, this was replaced by a brick building with semi-circular arched windows and doors, as well buff-colored brick at the corners to give the impression of rusticated stone. This newer building had two small classrooms and was heated by stoves connected by long pipes that ended at the building’s chimney.

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed

Contact us

613-247-4946