Old Ottawa South Community Association

  • Ottawa South History Project

Ottawa South History Project

We are a group of local amateur historians who research, document, and present information about the history of Old Ottawa South in a fun and informative way. Get in touch with us, the Ottawa South History Project (OSHP), at HistoryProject@OldOttawaSouth.ca.

In this section

Heritage Properties

Descriptions and photos of key historical and heritage properties within Old Ottawa South.

Read the story of No. 10 Graham Station, designed by Werner Noffke, and how it become the Ottawa South Community Centre, also known as "The Old Firehall".

View items...

Long reads

Essays and reflections on the history of Old Ottawa South.

View items...


Glimpses of Old Ottawa South's history: local stories of the past, research findings, and snippets of old news items.

View items...

Williams House

Northern facade facing Southern Drive (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 96 Southern Drive 1820s and later Residential View additional images of building. An 1827 map of the vicinity around the still-new settlement of Bytown shows the residence of Lewis Williams on this site, across the Rideau River from the house of Braddish Billings. The map is on display at the Billings Estate Museum. On this basis, it is believed that the original portion of this frame structure dates from 1827, placing it among the oldest frame buildings in Ottawa. Williams and his family were among the first settlers of the region, arriving in 1817.

Southminster United Church

Main (east) facade (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 15 Aylmer Street (intersection of Aylmer Avenue and Bank Street) 1931 Religious View additional images of building. Two congregations in Ottawa South, the Methodist and Presbyterian, united to build Southminster United Church in 1931 on the site of the former Methodist Church, which had been built in 1909 but torn down to make way for the new building.

Monastery of the Precious Blood / Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons

Front (north) facade (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 774 Echo Drive 1914 – 23 Institutional View additional images of building. This Sisters of the Precious Blood, a contemplative order of nuns founded in St. Hyacinthe, Quebec, came to Ottawa in 1887. In 1898, they purchased the MacKay estate on Echo Drive, which included a large stone house. The house was demolished and in 1914 work began on a new convent designed by Alphonse Contant. However, construction came to a halt in 1916 due to a steel shortage during the First World War. In 1917, work again stopped when the architect refused to spend any more money on the project and absconded with the funds. The building stood unfinished for four years. After receiving generous donations of materials and labour from the community, the Sisters moved into the monastery in 1923. Because of the financial problems, however, the building was austere and some…

Robertson House

Front (north) facade (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 32 Cameron Avenuec. 1887Residential View Additional images of building. This 1 1/2-storey brick veneer structure was built around 1887 in the then-rural area south of Ottawa. The pitched roof, double-gabled façade, ornate verge boards, and one-storey veranda with its extensive woodwork and central gable are all of architectural interest. The chinoiserie pattern of the railings reveals the handiwork of a proficient local carpenter, but many of the other decorative elements – ranging from the eight-pointed stars in the verge board to the dentils and spindles on the upper part of the veranda – were all manufactured by machine in local planning mills, and could be ordered from design books or catalogues. The L-plan of this house and the asymmetrical façade reflect the ultimate triumph of the romantic sensibility over the Georgian symmetry that had lingered in the Ottawa area.

Mayfair Theatre

Front (east) facade (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) 1074 Bank Street 1932 Commercial View additional images of building. Statement of Cultural Heritage Significance. The exterior of the Mayfair Theatre faces Bank Street with a three-story brick façade topped by a centrally-located, free-standing curvilinear Spanish Colonial Revival gable. The upper two thirds of the façade constitute a primarily blank, windowless surface with very limited decorative features. These include patterned brickwork and small square artificial cut-stone inlays defining the corners of rectangular brick frames articulating the facade. The building’s lower third opens up along the street level through the theatre’s entry doors as well as the storefront window of a barber shop located to their right. Another store originally flanked the entry doors from the left, but was later incorporated into the theatre.

Marion House

Front (south) facade facing Sunnyside Avenue (Kathy Krywicki, 2010) 131 Sunnyside Avenue1912Residential View addtional image of building. The two-story Marion House sits at the northwest corner of Sunnyside and Bristol. It was bordered from the north by a number of market gardens that were part of the original Williams farm before development took over the nearby area along Southern Drive and Avenue Road.

Hunt House

Front (south) facade facing Hopewell Avenue (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 149 Hopewell Avenue 1898 Residential View additional images of building. This 2 1/2-storey, front-gabled frame structure was built in 1898 for Benjamin J. Hunt, a pressman. The well-preserved clapboard finish is highlighted by a solid verge board. The modest trellis work on the front façade and at a side entry differ from the more exuberant gingerbread produced in the late-Victorian era.
Subscribe to this RSS feed

Contact us