fbpx

Old Ottawa South Community Association

  • Ottawa South History Project

Ottawa South History Project

We are a group of local amateur historians who research, document, and present information about the history of Old Ottawa South in a fun and informative way. Get in touch with us, the Ottawa South History Project (OSHP), at HistoryProject@OldOttawaSouth.ca.

In this section

Heritage Properties

Descriptions and photos of key historical and heritage properties within Old Ottawa South.

Read the story of No. 10 Graham Station, designed by Werner Noffke, and how it become the Ottawa South Community Centre, also known as "The Old Firehall".

View items...

Long reads

Essays and reflections on the history of Old Ottawa South.

View items...

Stories

Glimpses of Old Ottawa South's history: local stories of the past, research findings, and snippets of old news items.

View items...
Photo by Kathy Krywicki.

Jarman House - 834 Colonel By Dr

Property Title: 834 Colonel By Drive Address: 834 Colonel By Drive (Plan 214 Lot 5 E Part lot 3.) Introduction The home located at 834 Colonel By Drive was built in 1908 by Frank Jarman, an art dealer.1 Beginning from the time of its construction, it has been home to many prominent residents of Old Ottawa South, including Frank Jarman, a framer and art dealer, an intellectual property lawyer, and John Gleeson a manufacturer. It is a brick building based on a centre hall plan, and notable for being architect designed, making intentional use of classical architectural vocabulary, and for being a superior example of early twentieth-century Edwardian Classicism.
Read more...

Heritage Survey 2009

Old Ottawa South has a rich and varied array of built heritage and associated places including 7 individual properties designated for protection under the Ontario Heritage Act. A number of other buildings and properties are well known landmarks, and several streetscapes clearly evoke specific periods of building styles, such as Echo Drive, Euclid Avenue and Belmont Avenue near Fairbairn Avenue. In 2009 the Ottawa South History Project undertook a Heritage Survey to further our shared understanding of the heritage stock in Old Ottawa South.
Read more...

Reflecting on Old Ottawa South’s Built Environment, Past and Present

Reflecting on Old Ottawa South’s Built Environment, Past and Present Mohammad al-Asad September 2008 Abstract: This essay provides both documentary information as well as reflections on the architectural and urban characteristics of Old Ottawa South. It addresses the neighborhood’s past evolution, present characteristics, as well as possible future trends. It discusses possible scenarios that allow for increased densification in Old Ottawa South while preserving, and even enhancing, the urban and architectural qualities that contribute to making the neighborhood a positive example of urban living.
Read more...

Neighbourhood History Essay

First appeared in "Your Essential Guide to Old Ottawa South", Ottawa South Community Association © 1999 The Evolution of Old Ottawa South 1800-1872: Rural Settlement 1872-1920: Growth of a Suburb 1920-Present: Consolidation and Maturation Other Sources of Heritage Information
Read more...

Researching the History of Your House

Ever wanted to trace the background of your house or property? The City of Ottawa Archives has produced a detailed research guide on conducting research on the history of an Ottawa property.
Read more...

From the Archives: Roman Catholic Parish Created South of the Canal

From the Ottawa Citizen Tuesday, November 12, 1929, the creation of a Catholic parish in Ottawa South. The Catholic diocese subsequently purchased the former Calvin Church on Sunnyside at Fairbairn for St. Margaret Mary's Church. Father A.E. Armstrong Appointed Parish Priest and Will Start Organization Work at Once Roman Catholic residents of Ottawa South have been granted a parish. It was announced yesterday by His Grace Archbishop William Forbes. Some two years ago a petition was forwarded to the archibishop's palace requesting a new parish in this district.
Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed

Contact us

613-247-4946