Old Ottawa South Community Association

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting Tuesday July 2, 2019 at 12:30 pm Lounge at the Firehall

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting
Tuesday July 2, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Lounge at the Firehall

Present: Brian Ure, Kathy Krywicki, Erik van der Torre, James Grant, Winnie Pietrykowski, Sue Neill, Chair

  1. Welcome – Reminder that we had not met in June in order to focus on the meetings with Phil Landry and Shawn Menard, both of which took place.

2.Minutes of the TS Meeting of Tuesday May 14, 2019 – approved as circulated and posted.

3.Business Arising from the Minutes

  1. Follow up to Meeting with Phil Landry – May 8, 2019
  • See note circulated on May 9, 2019 outlining discussions
  1. Follow up to meeting with Shawn Menard -  May 29, 2019
  • See note circulated on May 31, 2019 and accompanying email from Shawn to staff

            It was agreed that Sue would prepare follow-up notes to Shawn and Phil requesting  updates. To be circulated to Committee members for input.

4.Priority Business

  1. Intersections Update – Erik
  • Waiting for a reply the City (Jama) outlining what the data collected is indicating about the intersections at Bank and Riverside, Riverdale and Belmont, Riverdale and Sunnyside and Bronson and Sunnyside.
  1. Colonel By Pedestrian Crossing at Seneca – Sue
  • Very discouraging – no further news
  1. Bike Rally – Winnie
  • In spite of the rain and lower attendance from last year, there were many positives – new volunteers from the Tennis Club, enhanced relationship with the Tennis Club, better organization, art display and follow-up
  • Question posed by Winnie – is this the best use of resources and the best way to promote bike safety; may be other ways that are less work intensive
  • Winnie to discuss with her team and to include James – bring the subject back to the Committee for discussion at the October meeting
  1. Cameron Bike Lane – James
  • James to contact Scott Muir of the City and discuss the proposal with him and report back to the Committee. Sue to mention the proposal and the meeting with Scott in her note to Phil Landry
  1. Gateway Speed Limit Zone – Sue
  • In the hands of the Councillor; should be in place on the west side of Bank in OOS by the end of the summer
  1. Bank Street Bridge Redesign 
  • Shawn has made a proposal to the City and is awaiting a response
  • Concern raised by the committee about the lack of consultation and involvement; letter to Shawn to indicate this concern
  • Possibility of an article in the fall OSCAR raising questions about the bridge and asking for community input (needs to be prepared and submitted by August 16 for September 2019 OSCAR)
  1. Sunnyside Rain Gardens and Traffic Calming – Brian
  • Brian and Winnie met with Darlene Conway from the City at the rain gardens and discussed remedial work; City has agreed to restore the rain gardens by the end of the summer 
  • Brian has received an email with vague information about the impact of the rain gardens and the bulb outs on the speed of cars on Sunnyside. He will follow up requesting more specific information.
  • Still work to be done in setting up the system whereby volunteers will be responsible for cleaning up the gardens
  1. Green Dreamers – Winnie, Brian
  • Winnie and Brian hosted a “strawberry tea” last Saturday on the porch of the Firehall to thank the Green Dreamer volunteers
  • Three new trees have been planted at the Firehall
  • Gardening to be included in children’s programming at the Firehall
  • Brian to talk to kids about planting seeds

5.Communications

  1. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns – Kathy
  • Kathy will ensure that a DYK piece is included in the September OSCAR
  1. Future OSCAR Articles 
  • Depending on updates from Shawn and Phil, may be possible to include an update on priorities for the September OSCAR (Sue)

6.Resident Concerns

a)B. Tansey re Willard 

  • Sue and Winnie to follow-up with Brian; he has raised some concerns about traffic issues at Willard and Sunnyside raised in a 2015 memo.
  1. Hopewell issues (Erik)
  • Erik to arrange meeting to discuss issues at west end of Hopewell and Hopewell in general

7.Liaison Updates

a)FCA Transportation Committee – Brian

  • Leadership of FCA as issue; Brian to keep us informed

b)Hopewell Parents Council – Erik

  • Nothing to report

c)Bike Ottawa – James

  • James to make official contact on behalf of the T&S Committee

d)SWOOS

  • Request for information about bus stops on Sunnyside from Anna; we have no information

e)OTLBC 

  • Erik reported that there are still community concerns about volleyball-related traffic issues; detrimental to the relationship the OTLBC wants to have with the community
  • Winnie and Sue to meet with Maria/Lael to discuss

8.Other Business 

a)1040-1050 Bank Development – Sue/Kathy to stay informed about this development

b)Road Safety Action Plan

  • Brian attended the second consultation of the City’s Road Safety Action Plan. This will identify priorities for the City for the coming years.
  • When the report from the second consultation comes out, Brian to circulate to us with instructions on how to provide input.  We may need to do this in August.
  • The Road Safety Action plan feeds into the City Transportation Plan and into the City’s Official Plan so is important for us to pay attention to.
  1. Next Meeting– Tuesday September 3, 2019 at 12:30 at the Firehall.  There will be no formal meeting in August but members are available for discussion if necessary.

OSCA Traffic and Safety Committee Report to the Board February 19, 2019

Update on Top Five Active Priorities

  1. PXO at Seneca and Colonel By

Actions Taken since last report – extraordinary meeting of the T&S Committee to firm up our position re structure of the crosswalk; CBC interview January 30; prepared online and OSCAR article including request for feedback; discussed with Shawn at his pop up office Feb. 1. He introduced a further option of a full traffic light. Wrote letter to Shawn with TS position. He replied indicating that he will meet with OPS next week and NCC following week. Replying to input received from article.

Progress Assessment – good public momentum, awaiting outcome of Councillor’s negotiations

Next Steps–

To be determined following Councillor’s meeting with OPS and NCC

Board Action/Decision: None requested

Result Anticipated – PXO constructed and functioning at Colonel By Drive and Seneca by the end of 2019.

2.        Bank Street Intersection Project

Actions Taken Since Last Report– reminder of need to respond to TS request sent to City officials; Councillor met with City officials and announced in his newsletter that approval given to eliminate the use of the beg buttons at Aylmer, Cameron and Belmont/Glen at certain times of the day

Progress Assessment – on track

Next Steps –

Follow up with City officials to get details of the approval and start date Check why Riverdale and Bank not included

Check on status of advanced pedestrian signals

Board Action/Decision: None requested

Results Anticipated – advanced pedestrian signal at all intersections on Bank Street in OOS; EW “beg buttons” not required between 7 am and 7 pm on weekdays and 9 am to 6 pm on weekends

3.        2019 Bike Rally and Rodeo

Actions Taken Since Last Report – steering committee is continuing its work on planning for a full weekend Bike Rally and Rodeo to be held May 31, June 1,2 2019; invitation sent to Councillor and staff and positive response received

Progress Assessment – on track

Board Action/Decision: None requested

Next Steps – Article for the March OSCAR, invitation to be sent to other communities in Capital Ward, planning meetings continue

Results Anticipated – Bike Rodeo and Rally held May 31, June 1, 2 2019

4.           “VisionZero”ExploratoryDiscussions/StrategicPlanning

Actions Taken Since Last Report– TS Committee has agreed to committee role, ways of working, goals and has had some discussion on priorities

Progress Assessment – on track

Board Action/Decision: None requested

Next Steps – objectives and priorities to be finalized at next TS Meeting in time for discussion at the March Board meeting

Results Anticipated: T&S Plan and priorities for 2019-20 completed by March 2019

5.        Permanent Structural redesign at Bank and Echo Ramp 

Actions Taken since last meeting; None

Progress Assessment – stalled, may have to go back to the beginning

Board Action/Decision: None requested

Next Steps:

Decide on priority of this and lead at next meeting of the TS Committee

OSCA Traffic and Safety Committee Report to the Board - January 9, 2019

Update on Top Five Active Priorities

  1. PXO at Seneca and Colonel By

Actions Taken since last report – OSCA President discussed this briefly with Catherine McKenna and staff and a follow-up letter was sent to her office – awaiting response; briefing note sent to Shawn Menard and project discussed with his staff

Progress Assessment – slow but positive

Next Steps –

Reminder note to be sent to NCC contactShawn to meet with City engineer (P. Sammon)

Other like-minded organizations and institutions to be brought into the discussion for their support, possibly media

Short update article to be provided for February OSCAR

Another discussion with Catherine McKenna at her New Year’s levy

Board Action/Decision: None requested

Result Anticipated – PXO constructed and functioning summer of 2019.

2.        Bank Street Intersection Project

Actions Taken Since Last Report– response received from City officials indicating

request will be considered; discussion with Shawn Menard’s office at TS Meeting

Progress Assessment – on track

Next Steps –

Reminder note to be sent to city officials on Monday

Shawn to link discussions on intersections in the Glebe with OOS request

Board Action/Decision: None requested

Results Anticipated – advanced pedestrian signal at all intersections on Bank Street in OOS; EW “beg buttons” not functioning between 7 am and 7 pm on weekdays and 9 am to 6 pm on weekends (May change with discussions with Shawn)

Subscribe to this RSS feed

Contact us

613-247-4946