Senior Watch Old Ottawa South
Meeting Minutes of 26 June 2020
Held virtually via Zoom
Present: Barbara Brown, Anna Cuylits (chair), Sian Fitzgerald, Christine Franklin, Maura Giuliani (minutes), Catherine Read, Peter Wells.
Guests: Dawson Clark, Neda Fayazi, Pascal Juneau
Regrets: Niki DiVito, Terry Hunsley, Carolyn Inch, Lida Malinowski
- Agenda: Agenda approved and READi students introduced
- Minutes: Minutes approved, with correction to article for OSCAR. Proposed article was replaced with article on Community Pillars for Seniors
- Items for updates & discussion:
- Walkability: Request for another bench was discussed. It was agreed that two benches worked well, particularly for social distancing. Catherine suggested that the bench at the school might be reoriented and joined by another. This will be pursued. Anna reported receiving more support from our councillor’s office re the Sunnyside/Leonard bus stop.
- (Intergenerational) Social Connections:
- Community Pillars: Progress here was covered in the OSCAR article. Colonel By has named Evelyn Metcalfe (their sales rep) as a contact, although Sian offered to act on their behalf, if that is desired. Anna will contact Ms Metcalfe.
- Trinity’s RSOOS program: is ongoing, although participation has been almost entirely from the Anglican community.
- READi students: Neda reported that they have a final approval from their supervisor to begin interviews and will host a virtual symposium in September (dates to be announced). They will have results in late August for the SWOOS meeting.
- Housing: Maura reported the results of contacting all those who participated in the earlier housing survey (just over 100). There were 24 responses, of which 13 expressed an interest in living there; 9 simply wanted to be kept informed; and 2 wanted to be dropped from the mailing list. Six respondents were interested in possibly joining our housing committee.
- Feedback on SWOOS webpage: Peter noted that there is a need for sharper contrast on the pages, given an older audience. There was general agreement that material for seniors should be highlighted more effectively. Maura to pursue.
- Future OSCAR columns: Anna felt there was enough material to generate a column.
Next Meeting: Tuesday, 25 August 2020 at 7:30 pm on Zoom.