OSCA’s Summer Camps are a great opportunity for youth to contribute to the community while learning skills they can apply in a variety of environments. During their time in camps, they will get to assist counsellors, coordinators, and children in a camp setting. Student volunteers may use volunteer hours toward the Ontario High School Community Service Program.
There are several requirements that volunteers need to have before they can begin. Packages with documentation will be made available at The Firehall (260 Sunnyside Ave.) for pickup. Please contact Sarah Cybulski (sarahc [AT] oldottawasouth [DOT] ca), OSCA’s Program Director, if you would like a package so she can have one ready for you.
- Assist with planning and animating daily activities and ensuring supplies are sufficient.
- Ensure areas are properly cleaned at the end of the day.
- Ensure all behavioural issues are communicated with the Camp Coordinators/Counsellors immediately
- Ensure all safety procedures – as outlined during training – are followed
- Ensure all accidents are properly reported
- Must be 14 years of age by the time of volunteering
- A completed and signed “Volunteer Application Form” (included in package)
- A completed and signed copy of the “Release of Liability, Waiver of Claims, and Assumption of Risk Form” (included in package)
- A completed OSCA Employee Information Form (included in package)
- A copy of your Criminal Reference Check (or the receipt and a signed waiver) *please note, if you are under 18 years of age, please put down City of Ottawa/OSCA for the organization you will be work with* (a letter for a free volunteer copy is included in the envelope)
- Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities (AODA) and IASR training completed (links included in package)
- Completed Worker Health and Safety Training (link included in package)
- A cover letter indicating why you would like to volunteer with OSCA
- A resume outlining any skills or relevant experiences (e.g., babysitting)
- One letter of reference from an adult who is not in your family
- A clear indication of what week(s) you would like to volunteer for and what camps/age range you would like to be with, if possible
We also recommend that our potential volunteers come to our Volunteer Information Session that being held Monday, May 27th from 5:30-630PM at the Firehall
If you have any questions, please email Sarah Cybulski and she can assist you. Your deadline to complete this package if you wish to help during 2019 summer camps is: June 1st, 2019.