On Thursday, December 19, 2019, OSCA staff and volunteers celebrated their traditional Christmas dinner with children from their After Four Program.
January marks the second month of OSCA's Winter Art Exhibit at the Firehall. The exhibit continues to the end of February 2020 and is open for viewing seven days of the week, the same hours of operation as the Firehall at 260 Sunnyside Avenue.
From November 13th - November 20th, OSCA will be taking submissions for the Winter Art Show & Sale at the Firehall. Artists working in any medium may submit one winter-themed piece along with a completed submission form. Pieces will be displayed in the Firehall lobby from November 24, 2019 - February 29, 2020 and 100% of the selling price goes to the artist.
A fixture in Old Ottawa South for the last 20 years the Westboro Academy is on the move. Located in the City of Ottawa’s former training centre building in Brewer Park, in mid-August the school is moving to 1000 Brookfield Road, a former French Catholic elementary school, near Bank and Heron.
SWOOS meets iGEN: June 1st – Come Out And Vote!
Senior Watch Old Ottawa South celebrates its first year with an invite to young and old to vote for the best location for a city bench!
Where: Cast your votes at The Firehall, 260 Sunnyside Avenue
When: Saturday, June 1, 2019, from 9:30am to 11:00am.
This past year, May 2018-2019, the SWOOS team searched what we, as a watchdog for seniors in Old Ottawa South, could or should actually do.
Since May 4th proved to be too wet to work outside, the Green Dreamers (GDs) decided to meet inside to discuss this year's gardening activities and strategies. Listed below are some of the topics discussed, followed by progress on some of the same topics since then.
Topics Discussed on May 4, 2018
- Launch Date: Saturday, May 26, 2018 at the Firehall 8:30 - 10:30 a.m.
Designed in 1920 by prominent Ottawa architect Werner Ernst Noffke, No. 10 Graham Station, is an elaborate Spanish-Colonial style building named in honour of Ottawa Fire Chief John W. Graham, who served that post from 1910 to 1921.
260 Sunnyside Avenue
The elaborate Spanish Revival style tells us at a glance that this building was designed by Werner Ernst Noffke (1878 – 1964), one of Ottawa’s best-known architects of the early 20th century. It is also the third-oldest surviving structure built as a fire station in the city. Its construction in 1921 reflected the southward growth of the city and came at a transitional time in the evolution of firefighting technology. As built, it accommodated both horse-drawn and motorized equipment, with the stables for the horses located underneath. Instead of the traditional hose drying tower, this fire hall had a hose drying room in the basement.