The week of March 3rd at City Hall proved to be both interesting and revealing. As promised in last month’s column on Traffic Updates representatives from Old Ottawa South (OOS), the Glebe Community Association (GCA) and Old Ottawa East (OOE) met with Mayor Jim Watson and made presentations to the City’s Transportation Committee chaired by Councillor Keith Egli (Knoxdale-Merivale Ward, Nepean).
The Mayor’s Boardroom is located in the heritage wing of City Hall (Ottawa’s former Teachers’ College built in 1874) and comfortably seats about 12 people around an impressive, rectangular, oak table located in the centre of a rather large, high-ceiling room reminiscent of medieval halls that once dotted the British countryside centuries ago.
This flight of imagination is not so surprising when one considers the Gothic Revival architecture of the heritage wing and its official designation as a National Historic site. A sense of importance dwells in this room: it’s imposing space in both height and breadth, the series of multi-paned windows that line one wall facing Elgin Street, and its ample capacity to entertain the decision-makers who shape and transform the City of Ottawa.