fbpx

Old Ottawa South Community Association

  • Introducing OSCA's All-Access Fitness Membership!

    Introducing OSCA's All-Access Fitness Membership!

    We are excited to offer a brand new way to experience our fitness programs: OSCA's All-Access Fitness Membership! With 3 membership Tiers, our new memberships provide flexibility & convenience to join any of our (virtual) fitness offerings for one monthly fee. Click "Register Here" for full details.

    Register Now
  • Registration for In-Person After 4 is Open

    Registration for In-Person After 4 is Open

    Registration for our in-person After 4 program is open and space is very limited. For details on some of the updated safety procedures and protocols, read the update on our website.

    Register Now
  • The Fall 2020 Virtual Program Guide is OUT NOW & Registration is OPEN!

    The Fall 2020 Virtual Program Guide is OUT NOW & Registration is OPEN!

    We have another full lineup of programs and workshops for all ages! Check out the Fall 2020 Virtual Guide, or click "Register Now" to browse all programs and register in Amilia.

     

    Register Now

COVID-19 Resources

News, Updates on What's Open, and Quarantine Stories in Old Ottawa South.

If you have an OOS Quarantine Story you want to share with us, please email it to oscaprograms@oldottawasouth.ca or fill out our submission form.

Colonel By Drive Crossing at Seneca Update

Colonel By Drive Crossing at Seneca Update

Plus an Invitation for Feedback

Over the last 2-3 years, the OSCA Traffic and Safety Committee has been lobbying and in discussions with the City and the NCC with respect to the installation of a safe crossing (PXO) of Colonel By Drive in Old Ottawa South (as reported in the OSCAR and online on several occasions). This article is to provide an update on this project and to invite community feedback with respect to next steps.

Read more...

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting Tuesday January 8, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting

Tuesday January 8, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Lounge at the Firehall

 

  1. Introduction and Welcome

Present: Erik van der Torre, Winnie Pietrykowski, Kathy Krywicki, Brian Ure, Janet Jull, Sue Neill (Chair)

James Grant was welcomed as a new member of the T&S Committee and will be added to the mailing list.

 

  1. Special Guest

Shawn Menard, Councillor for Capitol Ward had been invited and was intending to attend the meeting but was ill.  Jonathan McLeod, from the Councillor’s office attended.

 

Jonathan shared the Councillor’s priorities for Traffic and Safety:

  • Safety on the Bank Street Bridge and Billings Bridge for pedestrians and cyclists
  • General safety concerns for bikers and pedestrians – deterrents and maintenance issues
  • Timing and format of traffic lights on Bank Street
  • Safety on Bronson – tweaks on traffic lights, curb cuts etc
  • Speeding and traffic calming on Bank and Bronson
  • Crossing guards and qualifications of crossing guards

 

Re Work on the Bank Street Bridge

  • Repairs to be done this year, design work in May June, work in August, (small project now but could morph into something bigger)
  • Bank Street Bridge belongs to the City

 

Re City budget

  • Shawn to hold a budget consultation on Jan 30 at Jim Durrell Centre
  • Feb 6 Budget will be tabled
  • March 6 voted on by Council

 

 

(Note to us – we should try to find out the amount for T&S in the budget and consider attending the consultation on Jan 30; could email Shawn stating the importance of funding for T&S.

 

In 2018, City of Ottawa budget allocated $40,000 to each ward for the Temporary Traffic Calming Measures Program.

Riley Brockington (River Ward Councillor) has suggested this amount might be increased this year:

https://twitter.com/RiverWardRiley/status/1082699028729520128 

 

Budget consultation details: https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/budget/get-involved-budget-2019#councillor-led-public-consultation-meeting-dates 

Key date for Transportation Committee Feb. 26, 2019

 

T&S Priorities then Discussed

  • Colonel By Crossing at Seneca (Briefing note had been sent to Shawn by us on this); Shawn to meet with Pat Sammon this week; discussion of how to expand involvement to add pressure to the decision-making process (Bike Ottawa, Safer Roads, media etc)
  • Intersection Project – Shawn already discussing intersections with the Glebe – will include OOS in the discussions
  • Bank Street Bridge – no left turn sign at Wilton, no left turn at the Echo Ramp and Bank; need to take a stronger and more aggressive stand
  • Green Dreamers and Sunnyside Rain Gardens – for info

 

 

  1. Minutes of the TS Meeting of December 4, 2018

 

Approved and posted on the OSCA website

 

  1. Priority Business

 

  1. Intersections Report, Recommendations and Next Steps
  • No news from the City, Erik to send a reminder next week
  • Follow up with Shawn’s office re discussions in the Glebe

 

  1. Colonel By Pedestrian Crossing at Seneca
  • Sue to write to NCC contact
  • Erik to check to see if Richard has received any reply from his letter to McKenna’s office (Zach)
  • Kathy to attend Catherine McKenna’s New Years Levee and speak with her and/or her staff
  • Sue to draft an update article for February OSCAR – with Erik
  • Consider involving others as discussed eg Bike Ottawa, CBC, Ottawa Citizen – Erik to look into this

 

  1. Board Report Format, Strategic Plan/Vision Zero, 2019 Priorities

Committee reports and priorities to be discussed at the upcoming Board meeting; T&S format to be considered as a model for other committees; objectives to be set by committees and reported on at Board meetings

  • Thorough discussion of the Plan and priorities to take place at the February meeting

 

  1. Communications

 

  1. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns – Kathy to submit a DYK “article” for February
  2. Future OSCAR Articles – update on Colonel By crossing for February; T&S priorities for March (Sue to discuss with Richard)

 

  1. Liaison Updates

 

  1. FCA Transportation Committee (Brian) – nothing to report

 

  1. Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club

Winnie reported that the Club has become engaged in the planning of the Bike Rally next June and Maria Pierre-Noel, OTLBC Executive Director, is a part of the planning committee.

 

  1. Hopewell Parents Council

Erik indicated that there is nothing to report relating to the Council. However the problems with traffic and safety on Hopewell continue.  We will discuss next month as a project to be included in the plan.

 

  1. Snow Moles – Winnie, Sue and Jonathan participated in the Snow Moles audit earlier in the day. Twenty-five people participated in identifying areas hindering walkability in OOS. Sue to send a note of congratulations to Anna

 

  1. Glebe Traffic Committee – James volunteered to be the liaison.  Sue to contact Matt about how this could work.

 

  1. Other Business

 

Discussions occurred throughout the meeting about building relationships/alliances with the City (Glebe, other communities) and organizations (Bike Ottawa et cetera) to move our concerns forward in a way that aligns with stakeholders locally and also city-wide.

 

  1. Next Meeting – Tuesday February 5, 2019

 

Read more...
Hogs Back Dam and Fixed Bridge Rehabilitation

Hogs Back Dam and Fixed Bridge Rehabilitation

If you are a user of Hogs Back Park, please see this message Parks Canada recently sent:

"November 28, 2018 – This week, the contractor for the Hogs Back Dam and Fixed Bridge rehabilitation project will begin installing the cofferdam on the south side of the dam. This work requires the movement of heavy machinery across the multi-use pathway next to the staging area, southeast of the dam. In order to preserve public safety, the contractor will utilize flagstaff to control pedestrian traffic when heavy machinery is crossing. Pedestrians can expect brief intermittent delays during these times."

Read more...

Pedestrian Signals along Bank Street

In the November 2018 OSCAR, the OSCA Traffic & Safety Committee published an article outlining the current situation along Bank Street in Old Ottawa South regarding East-West pedestrian signals. In the article, the committee proposes to work with the City to implement two changes: 1) make all E-W pedestrian signals automatic, and 2) make sure that all E-W pedestrian signals have an advanced green for pedestrians.

Read more...

OSCA Traffic and Safety Committee Sets Priorities for 2017-18

The Traffic and Safety Committee is a committee of the Old Ottawa South Community Association. To carry out its work, the committee collaborates with a number of different entities including the Councillor’s Office, City of Ottawa traffic officials, the National Capital Commission, the Hopewell School Parents’ Council, our neighbouring communities, and various informal residents’ groups in Old Ottawa South.

Traffic and safety matters are very near and dear to everyone’s heart and there is no lack of work for this committee to undertake. Each year, priorities must be set in order to direct our efforts.

At its meeting of October 3, 2017, the T&S Committee agreed on the following as its priorities for the upcoming 6-8 months:

Read more...

What’s a Bike Rodeo Anyway?

On Sunday June 11, 2017 the Old Ottawa South Community Association (OSCA) is partnering with the City’s Safer Roads Program to host a Bike Rodeo in Windsor Park.

OSCA’s Traffic & Safety Committee has invited our neighboring communities to help make this cycling event as useful, practical, and as much fun as possible.  On June 11th residents from Old Ottawa South, the Glebe, Old Ottawa East and Heron Park will mount their broncos (bicycles) to ride several of Capital Ward’s bicycle pathways/routes to Windsor Park where some of the City’s finest traffic & safety experts will share “tips” on bicycle safety and know-how.

Read more...

Something to Report to the City?

Do you have something to report to the City? Perhaps it's an illegally parked car on your street, or a huge pothole around the corner, or you may want to compliment a City employee for a job well done! Well, the good news is that it’s very easy! 

Read more...

Rideau Canal Walls: Update Spring 2017 on Ongoing Work

Work to repair the Rideau Canal walls between Bank Street and Pig Island along the eastern shoreline began in December 2016 and has been progressing on schedule. After a work platform was installed along the site, the contractor began the demolition work associated with this project—removing the old guard rails and chipping away damaged concrete from both the face and top of the wall.  

During the week of February 20th 2017, reinforcements and form work began to be put in place to ready the site for the new concrete.  The concrete will begin to be poured and placed in early March. The project to repair this section of the Rideau Canal Walls in downtown Ottawa is on schedule to be completed by Spring 2017.  The in water work should be completed by April with the shoreline and trail work to follow.  

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed

 

Green Dreamers

Old Ottawa South's Community Garden Brigade
More

Senior Watch OOS

Creating an age-friendly community.
More

 

Sign up for “Between the Bridges”

captcha 

Contact us

613-247-4946