The City of Ottawa will be restoring the gardens within the next 4-6 weeks. They will inspect drainage, repair where necessary, add more soil (a unique composition to rain gardens) if required, and replant. We now know what survives!
In this excerpt from the March 1990 OSCAR, June Kelly O'Byrne recounts memories of life on Sunnyside Avenue from the 1920s and beyond, with recollections of family and friends, and recalls the many local stores and businesses in the neighbourhood.
Ottawa South Memories by June Kelly O'Byrne
In 1920 my parents bought a little house on Sunnyside Ave. on a big lot which extended to Woodbine Place. Dad had just returned from the First World War and was fortunate to obtain employment as a Letter Carrier. His "route", as he called it, encompassed Echo Drive at the Precious Blood Convent to Cameron Ave. (Cowan's Ice House and Wilson's Lumber Yard), east to the Rideau River, including what is now known as Rideau Gardens. Some senior citizens may remember him, as he received many a "tip" at Christmas time from the residents of those streets.
For many years, the hill behind St. Margaret Mary Church was the meeting spot for intrepid tobogganers. The February 1983 OSCAR caught a snapshot of the fun.
There is not much to report regarding businesses opening or closing, so here’s another roundup post highlighting some of the places that make our neighbourhood so great.
The rain gardens installed by the City of Ottawa on Sunnyside Avenue between Bronson and Bank are under private contract until July 1st, 2016. The contractor is responsible for plant maintenance and watering. Once the contractor is finished the City will follow up with those members of the community who have volunteered to oversee their care. This follow-up will likely happen in cooperation with the Green Dreamers.
From the Old Time Stuff (OTS) column May 30, 1931 Ottawa Citizen the note about a house built 34 years prior, that is, in 1897, as the first house on Sunnyside Avenue east of Bank Street.