Posted by: Richard Slowikowski
On Tuesday, July 21st, the OSCA Board of Directors endorsed recommendations by the Operations Committee in anticipation of virtual and (possibly) in-person programming for September.
As I write this message to you, we are still in limbo with respect to the nature of in-person programs for children and adults. It is not clear how schools will open in September and whether children will be in school full-time or part-time. This decision will have a huge impact on the scope and extent of children’s programming and how this will affect other in-person opportunities at the Firehall.
OSCA’s Staff, in close collaboration with the Operations Committee, have developed a detailed work plan in preparation for September. We are preparing for a variety of possibilities. The Committee will provide a progress report to the Board of Directors again in mid-August. By then we hope to know more. The Board’s approval is a necessary step as we move forward.
Currently, staff are developing a program guide on virtual programs for children and adults to be released by mid-August. And as soon as we have more information and guidance from provincial and local authorities we will advise you online and in print via OSCAR of our in-person programming for both children and adults. Needless to say, there are a variety of approval processes we must follow. And there is no guarantee that we will be able to offer in-person programming in September.
In the short term, we will continue to build on the virtual programs for children and adults developed this Spring & Summer. As we wait for further decisions and policy guidance by the Government of Ontario and the City of Ottawa we will prepare for in-person programming, paying close attention to required protocols under Covid-19 restrictions. And as always, we will continue to adhere to Ottawa Public Health guidelines and advisories.
And so, there remains a good deal of uncertainty and necessary approval processes at this point in time. What we do know is that our in-person programming will be of a very different character than in the past and that it will take more time, effort, and resources to prepare and launch them under Covid-19 restrictions.
We are eager to re-open the Firehall in a manner that respects community health and well-being. We look forward to seeing you and your loved ones in-person once again when it is safe to do so.
We will continue to keep you informed of our progress and we invite you to check our website regularly for updates.