Come celebrate Trinity Anglican’s 140th year anniversary at the corner of Bank Street and Cameron Avenue, in OOS, on Saturday, October 19th, 2019, from 2 to 4 pm. For this very special occasion, Music at Trinity will dedicate its October concert to this anniversary. We are planning to celebrate the contribution of generations beyond our founding members, with a fun afternoon of narration and music, followed by a light reception. You will learn many fun facts about our history and be well entertained with selections of music reflecting the various periods of Trinity’s life.
Long before paved roads, electricity and central heating, early settlers who lived in small hamlets like Billings Bridge and Ellwood regularly attended church services on Bank Street in a small church, lovingly built and maintained by many who have local descendants. Since those humble beginnings, Trinity has been a welcoming faith group and an active community participant.
The 1879 church building was replaced in 1926 by a grander building designed by prominent Ottawa architect L. Fennings Taylor. It incorporated an eight-foot rose window originally installed in the previous building in1886. The window featured a 30-inch centre depiction of the young soldier for whom the window was dedicated. That soldier was Private John Rogers. He was one of two soldiers killed in the North-West Rebellion on May 2nd, 1885 in a battle marking the first occasion soldiers from Ottawa took part in warfare in defence of Canada. Another monument to John Rogers stands in Confederation Park. Unfortunately that window was lost in 1947 during Trinity’s devastating fire. Although the church was badly ruined in the fire, the basement was untouched (somehow!) and the lower walls survived. However, little more than a small Bible Window that currently hangs over the main Cameron Street entrance, and a prayer desk dating back to the original mission church, were salvaged. The current building was re-built by September 1948.
Since its earliest days, beyond enriching the church service, sharing music has been fundamental to Trinity. The impressive Casavant organ which was dedicated in 1963, boasts 1728 pipes, and is dedicated to the members of the armed forces who lost their lives in two world wars. That organ has featured in many community musical events, and will be featured once again at our celebration on October the 19th.
We invite our friends and neighbours to join us in celebrating Trinity’s long presence in Old Ottawa South. We are in the community, for the community. All will have the opportunity to hear Trinity’s very own choir, who made their concert debut last June, and our lovely Casavant organ. As part of the festivities, we are encouraging everyone to wear hats and gloves from any era. Freewill offerings will be gratefully accepted.
Judy Richardson and Lindsay Whillans are members of the Trinity Anglican Church congregation. Fabien Tousignant is the Director of Music and Organist at Trinity.
Originally published in the October 2019 OSCAR.