Designed in 1920 by prominent Ottawa architect Werner Ernst Noffke, No. 10 Graham Station, is an elaborate Spanish-Colonial style building named in honour of Ottawa Fire Chief John W. Graham, who served that post from 1910 to 1921.
The Sunnyside branch of the Ottawa Public Library is one of the gems of our Old Ottawa South neighbourhood. Much loved and very well used by young and old, it has been in existence almost as long as the entire Ottawa library system itself, but of course it looked very different in the beginning.
September 1947 marked the start of a new season at the Ottawa South Community Center, housed at Hopewell Avenue Public School. The recreation center's theme urged residents of Ottawa South to take a chance on 'Childhood Preferred' and invest in a boy or girl in order to get a great man or a great woman.
Ottawa South Invests in ‘Childhood Preferred’
Old Time Stuff, by Earl G. Wilson, was a regular feature of the Ottawa Citizen for many years. This O.T.S. article transcribed here is from the Ottawa Citizen June 16, 1939.
Tells About Conditions In Ottawa South Back in 1909
Some of the people presently residing in that thickly populated section of Ottawa South west of the Bank street, between Sunnyside and Cameron, will hardly credit the statement that thirty years ago a road ran across country from the corner of Sunnyside and Seneca to Billings Bridge. This interesting fact is divulged by Mr. William Kippen, who has resided on Seneca street, near the corner of Sunnyside since 1909.
In the 1990s the burgeoning development of South Ottawa, in areas such as Hunt Club and Greenboro, triggered a move to distinguish Ottawa South from other parts of the the city by changing the neighbourhood name to 'Old Ottawa South'.
We have gathered a large collection of historical photos and images related to our neighbourhood of Ottawa South. Of special note is a an Ottawa South slideshow compiled by John Calvert in 2007 for the 100th anniversary of the annexation of Ottawa South to the City of Ottawa.
You can browse the OSHP photo gallery here.
View of driveway leading to house entrance (Kathy Krywicki, 2008)
700 Echo Drive
This 2 1/2 storey stone house represents a transition from stolid Georgian symmetry to a more Romantic sensibility in the Ottawa area. It was built for Colonel George Hay, a prominent hardware merchant and president of the Bank of Ottawa. Tradition has it that, while serving as one of the city’s first aldermen, Hay suggested that Bytown be renamed Ottawa. Further, it was in this very house that Hay is said to have designed the city’s first coat of arms.
Reflecting on Old Ottawa South’s Built Environment, Past and Present
This essay provides both documentary information as well as reflections on the architectural and urban characteristics of Old Ottawa South. It addresses the neighborhood’s past evolution, present characteristics, as well as possible future trends. It discusses possible scenarios that allow for increased densification in Old Ottawa South while preserving, and even enhancing, the urban and architectural qualities that contribute to making the neighborhood a positive example of urban living.
From Library and Archives Canada, a couple of older photos of the Bank Street Bridge, the north gateway in Old Ottawa South.