fbpx

Old Ottawa South Community Association

Publications: Exploring the Built Heritage of Old Ottawa South

The Ottawa South History Project is pleased to announce the publication of Exploring the Built Heritage of Ottawa South.book jacket

Published in partnership with Heritage Ottawa, the book encompasses an overview of the history of Old Ottawa South and presents the designated heritage properties in the neighbourhood, along with the property profiles and streetscapes developed in the summer of 2009.

Online sales are available through Heritage Ottawa. The book is also available in selected local bookstores such as Octopus Books in the Glebe, Books on Beechwood in New Edinburgh, Perfect Books in Centretown, and Black Squirrel Books in Old Ottawa South.

Read more...

Ottawa Then & Now Photos

a012914-v6-mikan-3318580-smallJohn West has developed a creative hobby — he re-takes old photographs of Ottawa and then creates an animated dissolve between the old and new photograph. He posts his work on his website www.Ottawahh.com.

Have a look at some of the images of the Old Ottawa South area.

Read more...

A New Addition to Linda Thom Park

Billings Plaque Just north of the Billings Bridge, on the west side of Bank Street, a new historical marker has been installed.

Sponsored by the Gloucester Historical Society, Association of Friends of the Billings Estate Museum, Gloucester Lions Club and Billings Bridge Shopping Centre, the plaque commemorates the 200th anniversary of the arrival in 1812 of pioneer settler Braddish Billings to the Ottawa area.

The official unveiling of the plaque to honour Braddish Billings took place Wednesday, August 21, 2013.

Read more...

Billings Estate Commemorative Wall

m 4792 small The first permanent European settler in the area of Old Ottawa South was Braddish Billings in 1812 along the banks of the Rideau River. His holdings were primary on the south bank of the Rideau but included the north bank (later Old Ottawa South) up to present day Cameron Avenue. On the south bank just east of Billings Bridge at the (relocated) outlet of Sawmill Creek along the National Capital Commission's Rideau River Eastern Pathway is a commemorative stone wall in honour of the Billings family, the bridge, and the synonymous village that grew up on the edge of his property.

Read more...

Ottawa South Property Company

Ottawa South Property Company

Incorporated 1910

"company file" TC33739 available from the Companies and Personal Property Securities Branch, Ontario Ministry of Government Services, 800-361-3223.

 

Company file contains approximately 150 pgs of correspondence, including letters of patent, the company charter, and numerous annual reports. We have ordered copies of approximately 50 pgs. At a later date may want to order digital scans and/or colour copies of some material.

Read more...

Wyoming Park

Wyoming Park

The Hunt House at 149 Hopewell presently owned and very well maintained by John Feihl, musician, is designated under part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act. It is a proud and beautiful example of the many houses built and owned by the multi-talented tradesmen that lived in Wyoming Park at the turn of the 20th century.

Read more...

720 Echo Drive – The Enduring Stones of Time

 Originally published in the December 2011 OSCAR.

720-Echo-Drive-smallThe recent Home for the Holidays house tour highlighted, amongst others, a beautiful nearly century-old house with river stone walls at 720 Echo Drive. The lot upon which this house is build was originally part of an estate owned by George Hay, a successful 19th century hardware store owner who later became president of the Bank of Ottawa. His house, a designated heritage building from the 19th century, still stands at 700 Echo Drive.

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed

Contact us

613-247-4946