fbpx

Old Ottawa South Community Association

New Pedestrian Crossing in Old Ottawa South

New Pedestrian Crossing in Old Ottawa South

In another step towards making Capital Ward the safest place for active transportation in Ottawa, the National Capital Commission (NCC) and the City of Ottawa have come to an Approval in Principle for a new intersection pedestrian signal (IPS) to facilitate crossings of Colonel By Drive at Seneca Street. The crossing point will include a traffic signal to control vehicles on Colonel By Drive, and a pedestrian crosswalk and cycling crossride to access cycling and pedestrian facilities along Seneca Street.

Read more...

Traffic & Safety Committee Meeting Minutes May 14th 2019

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting

Tuesday May 14, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Lounge at the Firehall

 

  1. Present: James Grant, Erik van der Torre, Kathy Krywicki, Sue Neill, Chair

      Regrets: Winnie Pietrykowski, Brian Ure.  Sue will write to Janet Jull.

 

  1. Minutes of the TS Meeting of Tuesday April 9, 2019 – approved as circulated. Sue to remind staff to post the April minutes.

 

  1. Business Arising from the Minutes

 

  1. OSCA AGM

            Members felt that the meeting went well and that the new format was successful.          

                       

  1. Meeting with Phil Landry – May 7, 2019

            Erik, Kathy and Sue attended the meeting.  Unfortunately, Shawn’s wife became ill so he could not attend.  The meeting was positive and laid the groundwork for further collaboration with City staff.  See debrief email of May 8, 2019 from Sue to T&S     Committee.

 

  1. Other Meetings

            The first priority is to meet with Shawn. Sue to try and set up a meeting in the near future.  Meetings with the GCA and OOE to follow.

           

  1. Cycling

            James indicated that he could not take on the full responsibility for the cycling portfolio because he had just started a new job and has young children.  However, he is happy to be a contact for cycling and would work on the Cameron bike lane, speed radar/red light cameras and the Bank Street bridge.

 

  1. Forms from FCA/Input to Road Safety Action Plan

            Sue will follow up with Brian to determine what is needed to be done.

 

  1. Lansdowne Visioning Exercise

            Sue and Winnie (with Christy) attended a meeting of OSCA, GCA and OOE reps to discuss next steps relating to community input to a report being prepared by OSEG for the City           Council. The report will contain recommendations on the future of Lansdowne. Shawn and his staff have prepared some suggestions for discussion.  Next meeting is probably           May 22, 2019 and will involve OSEG.

 

  1. Areas of Interest and How We Work
  • Much work to do, areas of interest have been agreed
  • Members bring plan of attack on topics to the committee for discussion, get agreement on approach, then do it
  • Keep members informed, copy Chair on correspondence
  • If issues, discuss with Committee at meetings or bring to the Chair between

           

  1. Priority Business

 

  1. Intersections Update – Erik

            Erik received an email from Jama today indicating that students had been hired to gather data and were being trained for the next two weeks.

 

  1. Colonel By Pedestrian Crossing at Seneca – Sue

            Councillor and City have made a proposal for the Seneca crossing. It is now with the NCC             for consideration and approval.

 

  1. Bike Rally – Winnie

            No report from Winnie but things appear to be in hand for a great event!

 

  1. Echo Ramp – Kathy

            Flex sticks are installed to discourage right-hand turns at Bank and the Echo ramp.           Discussion of a counterflow bike lane from Bank to Colonel By as proposed by a        resident was discussed and considered to be a good idea. This had been discussed with            Phil and he is looking into it.  This could be a continuation of the flex sticks and would also serve the purpose of keeping cars to the right side of the Echo ramp.

 

            As per our request, Phil is also asking the NCC to indicate on the sign at the bottom of the ramp on Colonel By that the ramp is for Bank St south motorists.

 

  1. Cameron Bike Lane – James

            Following from the discussion with Phil, James has prepared a plan showing green paint on the road at all intersections involving the Cameron Bike lane. There is also a            dangerous corner at Cameron and Seneca that could benefit from a stop sign for cars turning from Seneca onto Cameron. James will prepare a written proposal for our discussion and subsequent discussion with the Councillor and then forwarded to the City.

 

  1. Gateway Speed Limit Zone – Sue

            It would appear that a decision has been made to have two Gateway speed limit zones in the Capital Ward possibly at 30 km/hr. One would be west of Bank in OOS. Kathy       made the case that since 40km is already the limit on the arterial streets through OOS (such as Riverdale, Sunnyside, Bank St) and some streets have specifically opted into this    speed reduction from the default 50km/h, with an overall 40km limit throughout the whole neighbourhood, we'd have consistency east & west of Bank St in OOS.

             This is to be discussed at the next meeting with Shawn.

  1. Bank Street Bridge Redesign – All

            The Councillor has indicated that he has submitted several options to the City for consideration. We need to be aware of these options before we proceed. To be on the    agenda for the discussion with Shawn.

  1. Sunnyside Rain Gardens and Traffic Calming – Brian

            Brian has had a vague response from Darlene (City) on the gardening side. No contact     yet on the assessment of the traffic calming measures.

  1. Green Dreamers – Winnie, Brian

            No report but – work has begun on the Bank Street gardens.

  1. Communications

 

  1. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns – Kathy

            A DYK has been prepared for this OSCAR on the need for residents to report traffic misdemeanors to the Police and the City. The system is complaints-based but there may be better ways ie listening to community associations about where “hot spots” are. For discussion with Shawn. The interface for reporting to the police is difficult and discourages reporting.

 

            A future DYK could involve the new advocacy group for the betterment of public transit. Kathy to submit the link to us. https://www.ottawatransitriders.ca/

  1. Future OSCAR Articles – All.

            Next month should be a report on the Bike Rally and Rodeo. Then possibly articles of       follow-up on priority projects

 

  1. Resident Concerns

 

  1. Responses to the OSCAR article on T&S Priorities (6 letters to date)

            Follow-up letters have been prepared by Sue. Erik has taken on the Hopewell suggestions and will contact the author.

    

  1. Liaison Updates
  2. FCA Transportation Committee – Brian

            The latest meeting was cancelled. Brian to keep us informed and circulate materials.

  1. Hopewell Parents Council – Erik

            The crossing of students on Hopewell continues to be a problem. Erik has discussed this and speed radar and red light cameras in the school zone at the last meeting.  The school principal is particularly interested in resolving the crossing issue. Next meeting is tonight – May 14.

  1. Bike Ottawa – James

            James attended the Bike Ottawa Bike to Work Week kick-off breakfast. Good opportunity to meet City officials.

 

  1. SWOOS – Sue

            Sue passed on thanks to Anna for setting an example of how to get work done. Sue and Anna to meet occasionally to discuss traffic issues relating to seniors.

  1. OTLBC – Winnie, Sue

            As the beach volleyball season is starting, Sue wrote a note to the Executive Director confirming that the measures taken last year to deal with traffic issues were to be in place again. Agreement and in addition a greater focus on cycling to the Club to be made. The OTLBC is very involved in the Bike Rally.  The Club officially opened last weekend.

  1. Other Business
  1. Kathy noted that she has seen “Slow Down for Us” signs made of metal and solidly installed up high on posts. She will write to Safer Streets Ottawa to see what is involved in obtaining a few of these signs. Depending on availability and price, we could ask for some funds from the OSCA budget.
  2. Raven Extension – Carleton

                   It was agreed that, if the City went ahead with a consultation, the T&S Committee could help with promotion, primarily by posting on News Between the Bridges. The                            Committee could have a position on this but need to better understand the proposal. Sue to write to the project engineer.                    

 

  1. Next Meeting

            Tuesday, July 2, 2019, 12:30 at the Firehall.

            Priority for the June meeting will be a meeting with Shawn.  Sue to try to set up for the morning of Friday, May 24, 2019, at the Firehall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Read more...

Traffic & Safety Committee Meeting Minutes-April 9, 2019

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting

Tuesday April 9, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Lounge at the Firehall

Present: Kathy Krywicki, James Grant, Winnie Pietrykowski, Erik van der Torre, Brian Ure, Sue Neill (Chair)

Regrets: Janet Jull

  1. Welcome: The meeting had been changed to the second week of April in order to accommodate the Meet and Greet luncheon at the Firehall.  Thanks to those who were able to attend.

Additions to the agenda: under item 4 – City Transportation Committee Report, Road Safety Action Plan Stakeholders Meeting Report

  1. Minutes of the TS Meeting of Tuesday, March 5, 2019 – approved by email and posted on the OSCA website.
  2. 2019/20 Priorities – Next Steps
  3. Board approval

The OSCA Board has approved the Traffic and Safety Plan and Priorities at its March meeting.

  1. Sharing of the Plan/Priorities

Meetings are being set up with Phil Landry, Director of Traffic Services with the City; and Shawn Menard, Councillor.  Both have agreed t o meet with us and we are now finding an appropriate time and place.  We will try to meet with Shawn first. Sue to arrange.

Meetings with the Glebe and OOE are still to be arranged.

  1. Committee Members – areas of interest

Individual Committee members indicated where they would like to contribute with regard to implementing the priorities:

PXO Seneca and Colonel By – Sue

Bank Intersections- Erik

Redesign/Flex sticks at Bank and Echo ramp – Sue

Bike Rodeo – Winnie

Green Dreamers – Winnie and Brian

Sunnyside – Brian

Gateway Speed Zone – possibly Janet

Bank Street Bridge Redesign – Erik, James, Sue

No left turn warning signs – Kathy

Red light cameras – Erik, James

Photo Radar – Erik, James

40 km limit on Colonel By – Sue

Physical barrier on Cameron – James

Consistent stop signs secondary intersections – TBD

Speed reduction on Bronson – Erik, Sue

Additional PXOs – Kathy, Sue

Other responsibilities currently underway will continue.  There is still a need to have a cycling lead on the committee. James indicated interest and will talk with several individuals to assess their interest in helping.

  1. Priority Business
  2. Intersections Update – Erik

No response yet from the latest request to the City.  Councillor’s office has asked to be kept informed.  It was noted that cameras were temporarily in place at Aylmer and Cameron – not sure why. So far no complaints that we are aware of have been made following the changes at intersections

  1. Colonel By Pedestrian Crossing at Seneca – Sue

The Councillor has informed us that something is in the works. We are hoping that there will be an announcement by the time of the OSCA AGM.

  1. Bike Rally – Winnie

Plans are well underway, led by a capable, lively and enthusiastic committee.  Winnie reminded Committee members that they should plan to attend. May 31, June 1, 2.  The Sunnyside Library will organize a display of cycling books to help promote the Bike Rally. Winnie to check Bike Ottawa’s involvement with Denise.

Winnie also reported that she had attended a Volunteer Recognition event at the library during which the Green Dreamers were awarded an amount of $500.00 to be used for the library gardens this spring.An article has been prepared for the May issue of the OSCAR. Winnie and Brian will visit the new location of Noel Landscape on Bank Street to determine if there is interest in working with the Green Dreamers.

  1. City of Ottawa’s Road Safety Action Stakeholder’s meeting

Brian attended this meeting on April 6.  The City’s Road Safety Action Plan was presented and input sought as to priority areas of emphasis for the plan. Stakeholders are now asked to contribute “countermeasures” or tasks that they might undertake to contribute to the accomplishment of the areas of emphasis.  Forms will be provided with a tight timeline.

Brian to prepare a response on the forms and circulate to Committee members for input. Brian will then provide to the FCA for a roll-up from all communities. FCA will submit to the City.

A presentation including data on fatal and major injuries citywide was presented. Janet to be asked if she will work on pulling out data relating specifically to Old Ottawa South (Sue to ask).

  1. Report to the City Transportation Committee and Council on Temporary Traffic Calming Measures Program (TTCMP)– submitted by Phil Landry

Kathy circulated the report containing interesting and informative information on the TTCMP ($50,000 per year allocated to Councillors for traffic calming measures in their riding).  This is important information for our upcoming meeting with Phil Landry pertaining to such elements as flex sticks, painting of lines, speed boards etc.

  1. Communications
  2. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns

Kathy has submitted a DYK piece for May relating to helmet safety relating to the Bike Rally

  1. Future OSCAR Articles – Christine Bradley has prepared an article on the Green Dreamers. Sue will prepare one on the T&S Committee 2019 priorities. Winnie will prepare another promo for the Bike Rally and Rodeo.  Deadline is this Friday April 12.
  2. Board Report – to be submitted by Thursday April 11. Sue to prepare.
  3. Resident Concerns
  4. Sunnyside Rain Gardens/Traffic Calming

Brian will contact the City to determine what if any assessment has been done on the rain gardens and other traffic calming measures on Sunnyside.

  1. Gateway Speed Zone

Our contact on this project is Colin Ashford.  Colin is following up with Shawn to determine if progress has been made.  Janet will be asked to assist with this.

  1. Liaison Updates
  2. FCA Transportation Committee

Brian reported that the next FCA meeting will be held at the Firehall on April 17. Richard will welcome on behalf of OSCA and Shawn Menard will be part of a panel presentation on the City’s new Official Plan. The FCA business meeting will follow. Brian will represent OSCA.

  1. Hopewell Parents Council – next meeting is on Tuesday April 9, 2019
  2. SWOOS – Kathy to make sure that Anna has seen the City’s Snow Clearing Report
  3. Other Business
  4. Lansdowne “Visioning” exercise

We want to ensure that traffic issues are part of the discussion, especially the Bank Street Bridge since it is our route to Lansdowne – for discussion with Shawn.

  1. OSCA AGM – May 7, 2019

There will need to be a T&S Report prepared. Sue to prepare and circulate.  Winnie provided an overview of the plans for the AGM.

  1. Next Meeting –Because the regular meeting date falls on the same date as the OSCA AGM, it was agreed that the meeting should be moved to Tuesday May 14 at 12:30 pm.

Date of the June meeting tbd – we may not have a formal meeting.

  1. Adjournment – at 2:15 pm.
Read more...

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting Minutes -Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Lounge at the Firehall

 

Present: Erik van der Torre, Kathy Krywicki, James Grant, Winnie Pietrykowski, Brian Ure, Sue Neill (Chair)

Regrets: Janet Jull

  1. Introduction and Welcome

Main purpose of the meeting today is to discuss and agree on the priority objectives of the Committee for 2019/20

  1. Minutes of the TS Meeting of Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Approved as circulated and posted on the OSCA Website.

  1. Finalization of 2019/20 Priorities

Following an exercise in which members of the Committee were asked to prioritize independently a list of previously discussed objectives, a list of emailed responses was compiled by the Chair for discussion at the meeting.

Following discussion, the Chair agreed to compile a revised list and circulate to members for input.

The final list is to be submitted on March 14, 2019 for discussion and approval at the March 19, 2019 meeting of the OSCA Board.

Following approval, an article will be prepared for the OSCAR and comment from the readers sought.

  1. Priority Business
  2. Intersections Report, Recommendations and Next Steps (Erik)

Request to the City to remove the beg buttons on the traffic signals going east and west on Bank Street has been approved and successfully implemented.  Shawn Menard had intervened with the City to assist in achieving this objective. Congratulations to Erik for his work on this!

Still remaining to be negotiated – beg buttons to be removed at Bank and Riverdale, and possibly at other intersections along Riverdale, also advanced pedestrian signals to be installed at all intersections. Erik to follow up.

  1. Colonel By Pedestrian Crossing at Seneca (Sue)

Shawn Menard has become involved in this file and has met with the OPS and the City.  He has informed us that he should have news for us in a couple of weeks.

Sue to write to Shawn’s assistant to reinforce the priorities of the Committee with regard to this intersection.

  1. Bike Rally (Winnie)

Invitations have been issued to local politicians and community associations in Capital Ward. David Chernushenko is interested in being involved in a creative way. Next meeting of the Organizing Committee is March 28.

  1. Communications
  2. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns

Kathy to consider using some information from material circulated by James on impact of speed and seriousness of injuries.

  1. Future OSCAR Articles

Article on priorities to be prepared once agreed by the Board.

  1. Liaison Updates
  2. FCA Transportation Committee (Brian) – Next meeting Wednesday, March 6, 2019. Brian to attend.
  3. Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club (Winnie) Ongoing re the Bike Rally
  4. Hopewell Parents Council

Erik to send Winnie the co-ordinates for the Co-chairs of the Parent’s Council so they can be invited to participate in the Bike Rally.

  1. Glebe Traffic Committee

To be contacted once the priorities are agreed by the Board.

  1. Capital Ward Council – nothing new
  2. SWOOS- nothing new
  3. Other Business

Agreed that we should hold a special planning meeting to develop a strategy and plan for the Bank Street Bridge project – possibly in June.

  1. Next Meeting – Tuesday April 2, 2019
Read more...

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting Tuesday February 5, 2019 at 12:30 pm Lounge at the Firehall

Present: Winnie Pietrykowski, Brian Ure, Kathy Krywicki, Erik van der Torre, Sue Neill - Chair

  1. Introduction and Welcome
  • Regrets from James Grant and Janet Jull

2.Minutes of the TS Meeting of January 8, 2019

  • Approved as circulated and posted on the OSCA Website

3.Priority Business

a)Intersections Report, Recommendations and Next Steps 

Erik has sent a reminder to his contact at the City but is still waiting for a response concerning our request.

b)Colonel By Pedestrian Crossing at Seneca 

At the pop-up office, Shawn Menard reported on his discussions with the City and the NCC and raised a new possibility of a full traffic light at Seneca. He discouraged us from going to the OPS and said he would be in contact with us to update in two weeks.

The T&S Committee discussed this new possibility of a full traffic light and agreed that we would maintain our priority as discussed last week – a raised crosswalk is our preference but will settle for an at grade crosswalk if necessary perhaps lobbying to have it raised in the future.  It was agreed that it was important to have the work completed this year while it is in the City budget.

Sue to write to Shawn to confirm this.

c)Bike Rally 

Winnie reported that the planning for the Bike Rally is well underway and that it will be over a weekend this year (tentatively May 31, June 1-2) with the OTLBC playing an active role and possibly hosting two events as part of the program.

Sue to write to Shawn to invite him and his staff to participate. Other communities in Capital Ward to be invited. Winnie to assist with emails. 

d) 2019 Priorities 

With a few changes to the previously circulated draft, the Role of the Committee, How the Committee Works and the Goals were approved.  A revised version will be circulated.  All members are to review the revised draft and consider the objectives putting them in priority order under each goal and then making a list of combined priorities without the headings.  Kathy to help to ensure that the objectives are stated as outcomes.

To be finalized at the March T&S Committee for presentation to the OSCA Board at the March meeting.

4.Communications

  1. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns

Possible suggestion for the next month – bylaws involving dumping of snow on the sidewalk by private contractors

  1. Recent OSCAR Article and CBC attention – Colonel By/Seneca 

We have had four email responses and two Facebook responses with 8 likes and 1 angry. Generally the responses are supportive of the work of the Committee. All of the emails were copied to Shawn and to the T&S Committee.

  1. Future OSCAR Articles

Possibly an update on the PXO and the Intersections project if there is any news.  Winnie will submit a Bike Rally article.  Deadline is Friday February 16.

5.Liaison Updates

a)FCA Transportation Committee 

Brian is now a member of the FCA Transportation Committee. FCA is a city-wide advocacy group for sharing information and action on civic issues.  The FCA Transportation Committee has many similar objectives to the T&S Committee. Next meeting is February 6, 2019.

Brian also attended a meeting relating to Urban Forest Management on behalf of OSCA.  Implementation of the Urban Forest Management Plan was delayed because of the municipal elections.

b)Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club 

Winnie is in regular contact with the Executive Director, Maria Pierre-Noel, because of her involvement with the Bike Rally.

c)Hopewell Parents Council 

Nothing to report

d)Snow Moles 

The next meeting of the snow moles will be February 12 at 10 am at the Firehall. All welcome.

e)Bike Ottawa

Winnie will be contacting Bike Ottawa in conjunction with the Bike Rally.

f)Glebe Traffic Committee

Once the T&S Plan is completed Sue will arrange for a meeting with Matt Meagher to be accompanied by James who is interested in liaising with the Glebe.

g)Capital Ward Council

Winnie attended the First meeting with Richard and has circulated a report – a good meeting with many common issues throughout the ward.

6.Other Business

Agreed to request a meeting with staff of the Councillor’s office on an as needed basis.

  1. Next Meeting– Tuesday March 5, 2019
Read more...
Colonel By Drive Crossing at Seneca Update

Colonel By Drive Crossing at Seneca Update

Plus an Invitation for Feedback

Over the last 2-3 years, the OSCA Traffic and Safety Committee has been lobbying and in discussions with the City and the NCC with respect to the installation of a safe crossing (PXO) of Colonel By Drive in Old Ottawa South (as reported in the OSCAR and online on several occasions). This article is to provide an update on this project and to invite community feedback with respect to next steps.

Read more...

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting Tuesday January 8, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Traffic and Safety Committee Meeting

Tuesday January 8, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Lounge at the Firehall

 

  1. Introduction and Welcome

Present: Erik van der Torre, Winnie Pietrykowski, Kathy Krywicki, Brian Ure, Janet Jull, Sue Neill (Chair)

James Grant was welcomed as a new member of the T&S Committee and will be added to the mailing list.

 

  1. Special Guest

Shawn Menard, Councillor for Capitol Ward had been invited and was intending to attend the meeting but was ill.  Jonathan McLeod, from the Councillor’s office attended.

 

Jonathan shared the Councillor’s priorities for Traffic and Safety:

  • Safety on the Bank Street Bridge and Billings Bridge for pedestrians and cyclists
  • General safety concerns for bikers and pedestrians – deterrents and maintenance issues
  • Timing and format of traffic lights on Bank Street
  • Safety on Bronson – tweaks on traffic lights, curb cuts etc
  • Speeding and traffic calming on Bank and Bronson
  • Crossing guards and qualifications of crossing guards

 

Re Work on the Bank Street Bridge

  • Repairs to be done this year, design work in May June, work in August, (small project now but could morph into something bigger)
  • Bank Street Bridge belongs to the City

 

Re City budget

  • Shawn to hold a budget consultation on Jan 30 at Jim Durrell Centre
  • Feb 6 Budget will be tabled
  • March 6 voted on by Council

 

 

(Note to us – we should try to find out the amount for T&S in the budget and consider attending the consultation on Jan 30; could email Shawn stating the importance of funding for T&S.

 

In 2018, City of Ottawa budget allocated $40,000 to each ward for the Temporary Traffic Calming Measures Program.

Riley Brockington (River Ward Councillor) has suggested this amount might be increased this year:

https://twitter.com/RiverWardRiley/status/1082699028729520128 

 

Budget consultation details: https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/budget/get-involved-budget-2019#councillor-led-public-consultation-meeting-dates 

Key date for Transportation Committee Feb. 26, 2019

 

T&S Priorities then Discussed

  • Colonel By Crossing at Seneca (Briefing note had been sent to Shawn by us on this); Shawn to meet with Pat Sammon this week; discussion of how to expand involvement to add pressure to the decision-making process (Bike Ottawa, Safer Roads, media etc)
  • Intersection Project – Shawn already discussing intersections with the Glebe – will include OOS in the discussions
  • Bank Street Bridge – no left turn sign at Wilton, no left turn at the Echo Ramp and Bank; need to take a stronger and more aggressive stand
  • Green Dreamers and Sunnyside Rain Gardens – for info

 

 

  1. Minutes of the TS Meeting of December 4, 2018

 

Approved and posted on the OSCA website

 

  1. Priority Business

 

  1. Intersections Report, Recommendations and Next Steps
  • No news from the City, Erik to send a reminder next week
  • Follow up with Shawn’s office re discussions in the Glebe

 

  1. Colonel By Pedestrian Crossing at Seneca
  • Sue to write to NCC contact
  • Erik to check to see if Richard has received any reply from his letter to McKenna’s office (Zach)
  • Kathy to attend Catherine McKenna’s New Years Levee and speak with her and/or her staff
  • Sue to draft an update article for February OSCAR – with Erik
  • Consider involving others as discussed eg Bike Ottawa, CBC, Ottawa Citizen – Erik to look into this

 

  1. Board Report Format, Strategic Plan/Vision Zero, 2019 Priorities

Committee reports and priorities to be discussed at the upcoming Board meeting; T&S format to be considered as a model for other committees; objectives to be set by committees and reported on at Board meetings

  • Thorough discussion of the Plan and priorities to take place at the February meeting

 

  1. Communications

 

  1. Ongoing – “Did You Know” columns – Kathy to submit a DYK “article” for February
  2. Future OSCAR Articles – update on Colonel By crossing for February; T&S priorities for March (Sue to discuss with Richard)

 

  1. Liaison Updates

 

  1. FCA Transportation Committee (Brian) – nothing to report

 

  1. Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club

Winnie reported that the Club has become engaged in the planning of the Bike Rally next June and Maria Pierre-Noel, OTLBC Executive Director, is a part of the planning committee.

 

  1. Hopewell Parents Council

Erik indicated that there is nothing to report relating to the Council. However the problems with traffic and safety on Hopewell continue.  We will discuss next month as a project to be included in the plan.

 

  1. Snow Moles – Winnie, Sue and Jonathan participated in the Snow Moles audit earlier in the day. Twenty-five people participated in identifying areas hindering walkability in OOS. Sue to send a note of congratulations to Anna

 

  1. Glebe Traffic Committee – James volunteered to be the liaison.  Sue to contact Matt about how this could work.

 

  1. Other Business

 

Discussions occurred throughout the meeting about building relationships/alliances with the City (Glebe, other communities) and organizations (Bike Ottawa et cetera) to move our concerns forward in a way that aligns with stakeholders locally and also city-wide.

 

  1. Next Meeting – Tuesday February 5, 2019

 

Read more...
True Grit: Spread It Around!

True Grit: Spread It Around!

Many businesses and establishments readily salt & sand their walkways. Yellow Grit Boxes, provided by the City of Ottawa, are installed at a few key spots around town as well. These boxes are located close to steep hills and in areas where there are many pedestrians, seniors, and persons using mobility devices. 

Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed

Contact us

613-247-4946