Thirty years ago this summer, Old Ottawa South grappled with rowdy students and major planned changes to Brewer Park.
The fate of two institutions, which formed a core element for generations of families in Old Ottawa South, may be coming together. Not the two institutions themselves, but their remnants.
Plans are underway for celebrating Glebe Collegiate’s 100th anniversary in 2022-2023! Glebe School Council is seeking input from community and alumni for ideas to mark the special occasion. We are holding a brainstorming session at Glebe Collegiate on February 6, 2020 at 7pm. Spread the word and come on out and join us!
In 1907, one of the arguments to convince residents of the Village of Ottawa East to vote favourably on amalgamation into the City of Ottawa was that was the city would use its influence with the Dominion Government to secure a bridge over the Rideau Canal at Mutchmor Street (Fifth Avenue) connecting to Clegg Street. Only a few years later we have implementation of this capital idea!
Designed in 1920 by prominent Ottawa architect Werner Ernst Noffke, No. 10 Graham Station, is an elaborate Spanish-Colonial style building named in honour of Ottawa Fire Chief John W. Graham, who served that post from 1910 to 1921.
The Sunnyside branch of the Ottawa Public Library is one of the gems of our Old Ottawa South neighbourhood. Much loved and very well used by young and old, it has been in existence almost as long as the entire Ottawa library system itself, but of course it looked very different in the beginning.
In an effort to eliminate similar sounding or duplicate names, the City of Ottawa is changing some familiar streets. Bronson Place has been renamed Canal Woods Terrace.
We have gathered a large collection of historical photos and images related to our neighbourhood of Ottawa South. Of special note is a an Ottawa South slideshow compiled by John Calvert in 2007 for the 100th anniversary of the annexation of Ottawa South to the City of Ottawa.
You can browse the Ottawa South History Project (OSHP) photo gallery here.
South facade of old building facing Hopewell Avenue (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008)
17 Hopewell Avenue
1910 and later
The first school on the present Hopewell Avenue Public School site dates back to the 1830s or 1840s. It was a one-room log building with a few windows, a small door, and a wood stove. By the end of the 1870s, this was replaced by a brick building with semi-circular arched windows and doors, as well buff-colored brick at the corners to give the impression of rusticated stone. This newer building had two small classrooms and was heated by stoves connected by long pipes that ended at the building’s chimney.