First appeared in "Your Essential Guide to Old Ottawa South", Ottawa South Community Association © 1999
The Evolution of Old Ottawa South
Old Ottawa South Community Association
Almost all OSCAR issues published since 1974 are available for download as PDF files.
In 1971 an expected road widening changing the look and feel of a neigbhourhood street drastically.
BY HENRY MAKOW
The city was continuing work on transforming the shady one-way residential street in Ottawa South into a two-way artery which will connect Bank Street with the Bronson Avenue entrance of Carleton University.
The casualties in this, the latest skirmish in the battle of the automobile versus the environment, were 21 stately old trees.
Orginally published in two parts in the May 2001 & June 2001 OSCAR.
It's no secret that Old Ottawa South is an attractive neighborhood. As Ottawa City magazine notes in its April/May 2001 real-estate edition, ours is a desirable community with many virtues. "The homes have capital-C character , the kind that comes with age and a history of loving owners."
The Ottawa South History Project is pleased to announce the publication of Exploring the Built Heritage of Ottawa South.
Published in partnership with Heritage Ottawa, the book encompasses an overview of the history of Old Ottawa South and presents the designated heritage properties in the neighbourhood, along with the property profiles and streetscapes developed in the summer of 2009.
Online sales are available through Heritage Ottawa. The book is also available in selected local bookstores such as Octopus Books in the Glebe, Books on Beechwood in New Edinburgh, Perfect Books in Centretown, and Black Squirrel Books in Old Ottawa South.
The recent Home for the Holidays house tour highlighted, amongst others, a beautiful nearly century-old house with river stone walls at 720 Echo Drive. The lot upon which this house is build was originally part of an estate owned by George Hay, a successful 19th century hardware store owner who later became president of the Bank of Ottawa. His house, a designated heritage building from the 19th century, still stands at 700 Echo Drive.
Another passage from the Ottawa Citizen Old Time Stuff column of the 1930s, this time the Fairbairn story, printed March 7, 1931, transcribed below.
This is a story which dates back to the time when Belmont avenue from Bank street to Riverdale was a farm lane, and further back to about the year 1816 when Thomas Fairbairn of Glasgow settled on the north banks of the Rideau river.
The following article from page 5 of the Ottawa Citizen July 8, 1952 describes the way of the life for the Sisters of the Precious Blood.
Two cloistered nuns – one whom has never seen the City of Ottawa although she has been living here for over 50 years – were feted yesterday on the occasion of their golden jubilee in the orders.