fbpx

Old Ottawa South Community Association

  • Ottawa South History Project

Stories

These are glimpses of Old Ottawa South's history: local stories of the past, research findings, and snippets of news items and notices describing the old, as if it were new.

From the Archives: Brighton Beach - Oasis on the Rideau

Longing for a cool place in these dog days of summer? A nearby swimming hole would be an ideal place to spend some time. In the past, the residents of Ottawa South had a wonderful spot, a beach at the end of Brighton Avenue, now a park with grass and trees, but formerly a haven for aquatic activities on the Rideau River.
Read more...
Sisters Adorers of the Precious Blood

Sisters Adorers of the Precious Blood

In 1981 Charlotte Gobeil got a rare look inside the Monastère du Précieux Sang then located at 774 Echo Drive in Ottawa South. Her visit with a documentary crew to the Sisters Adorers of the Precious Blood captures a fascinating glimpse of these cloistered nuns. Ms. Gobeil was welcomed by this contemplative order to witness the women's daily life of devotion.
Read more...

A Fantastic Footbridge Finally!

In 1907, one of the arguments to convince residents of the Village of Ottawa East to vote favourably on amalgamation into the City of Ottawa was that was the city would use its influence with the Dominion Government to secure a bridge over the Rideau Canal at Mutchmor Street (Fifth Avenue) connecting to Clegg Street. Only a few years later we have implementation of this capital idea!
Read more...

Views from the Bank Street Bridge

The National Capital Commission has amassed a huge collection of images of Ottawa and area over the years. Included in this collection is a 1929 view of the roadway alongside the Rideau Canal from the Bank Street Bridge in Ottawa South. Here's a then & now comparison.
Read more...

From the Archives: Ottawa South Memories

In this excerpt from the March 1990 OSCAR, June Kelly O'Byrne recounts memories of life on Sunnyside Avenue from the 1920s and beyond, with recollections of family and friends, and recalls the many local stores and businesses in the neighbourhood. Ottawa South Memories by June Kelly O'Byrne In 1920 my parents bought a little house on Sunnyside Ave. on a big lot which extended to Woodbine Place. Dad had just returned from the First World War and was fortunate to obtain employment as a Letter Carrier. His "route", as he called it, encompassed Echo Drive at the Precious Blood Convent to Cameron Ave. (Cowan's Ice House and Wilson's Lumber Yard), east to the Rideau River, including what is now known as Rideau Gardens. Some senior citizens may remember him, as he received many a "tip" at Christmas time from the residents of those streets.
Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed

Contact us

613-247-4946