In the late 1890s the area of Ottawa South bounded by Bank, Grove, Bronson, Sunnyside, and Woodbine Place was promoted as a new residential neighbourhood under the name “Wyoming Park.”
Sponsored by the Gloucester Historical Society, Association of Friends of the Billings Estate Museum, Gloucester Lions Club and Billings Bridge Shopping Centre, the plaque commemorates the 200th anniversary of the arrival in 1812 of pioneer settler Braddish Billings to the Ottawa area.
The official unveiling of the plaque to honour Braddish Billings took place Wednesday, August 21, 2013.
The first permanent European settler in the area of Old Ottawa South was Braddish Billings in 1812 along the banks of the Rideau River. His holdings were primary on the south bank of the Rideau but included the north bank (later Old Ottawa South) up to present day Cameron Avenue. On the south bank just east of Billings Bridge at the (relocated) outlet of Sawmill Creek along the National Capital Commission's Rideau River Eastern Pathway is a commemorative stone wall in honour of the Billings family, the bridge, and the synonymous village that grew up on the edge of his property.
Petition for the Establishment of a Post Office at Rideauville
On August 10, 1897, Mr. P. Robertson of Rideauville addressed a letter to the Postmaster General of Canada, the Hon. Wm. Mulock, asking for the establishment of a post office in Rideauville (Ottawa South) and recommended that Mr.T.R. Scott, owner of a store at the corner of Bank and Cameron Street, be appointed the postmaster of this establishment. With his letter he submitted a petition with 58 names.