The two-storey building at 1123-1125 Bank Street has now sat vacant and boarded up for 12 years. It was gutted by fire in 2009 and has been a challenge ever since, a significant concern for us in Old Ottawa South and for small businesses on Bank Street. There has been regular graffiti on the building, bylaw complaints about garbage left out, leaks, animals, and other issues.
In some ways, not too much has changed in fifteen years—on the eve of a move away from Old Ottawa South, a resident recounts what he'll miss most about the neighbourhood in this article from the June 2004 OSCAR.
Ten things I love (and will miss) about Old Ottawa South — By Jim Watson
A photo archive of Old Ottawa South from the not too distant past.
Old Ottawa South photographer Tom Alföldi likes to take to the skies for aerial photography. In 2011, he captured pictures of the bridges of Old Ottawa South, which can be seen in the December 2011 OSCAR. Here, have a look at his aerial shots of a few of our neighbourhood buildings.
Much like the hidden businesses featured in the April 2017 Business Beat, this month’s article will focus on business people in Old Ottawa South that do not have a brick & mortar presence in the neighbourhood.
In the 1990s the burgeoning development of South Ottawa, in areas such as Hunt Club and Greenboro, triggered a move to distinguish Ottawa South from other parts of the the city by changing the neighbourhood name to 'Old Ottawa South'.
We have gathered a large collection of historical photos and images related to our neighbourhood of Ottawa South. Of special note is a an Ottawa South slideshow compiled by John Calvert in 2007 for the 100th anniversary of the annexation of Ottawa South to the City of Ottawa.
You can browse the Ottawa South History Project (OSHP) photo gallery here.
Almost all OSCAR issues published since 1974 are available for download as PDF files.
The week of March 3rd at City Hall proved to be both interesting and revealing. As promised in last month’s column on Traffic Updates representatives from Old Ottawa South (OOS), the Glebe Community Association (GCA) and Old Ottawa East (OOE) met with Mayor Jim Watson and made presentations to the City’s Transportation Committee chaired by Councillor Keith Egli (Knoxdale-Merivale Ward, Nepean).
The Mayor’s Boardroom is located in the heritage wing of City Hall (Ottawa’s former Teachers’ College built in 1874) and comfortably seats about 12 people around an impressive, rectangular, oak table located in the centre of a rather large, high-ceiling room reminiscent of medieval halls that once dotted the British countryside centuries ago.
This flight of imagination is not so surprising when one considers the Gothic Revival architecture of the heritage wing and its official designation as a National Historic site. A sense of importance dwells in this room: it’s imposing space in both height and breadth, the series of multi-paned windows that line one wall facing Elgin Street, and its ample capacity to entertain the decision-makers who shape and transform the City of Ottawa.
Readers have asked where an article they saw in the News Between the Bridges newsletter can be found later on the Old Ottawa South website. Here's a brief description of how the newsletter relates to the website, which can help you find articles later.
The newsletter is essentially a "snapshot" of recent articles from the website at the time the newsletter is created, excluding older items and events that have already occurred. It is simply organized and presented in a different way, and doesn't always include the whole content of an article but rather a link to the full text of the article. Plus a list of upcoming events in the next two weeks.