History Of The Sunnyside Library

History Of The Sunnyside Library

The Sunnyside branch of the Ottawa Public Library is one of the gems of our Old Ottawa South neighbourhood. Much loved and very well used by young and old, it has been in existence almost as long as the entire Ottawa library system itself, but of course it looked very different in the beginning.

Bank Street Bridge

Bank Street Bridge

  South part (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008)   North part (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) Bank Street Bridge over the Rideau Canal 1912, *restored in 1993Infrastructure The Bank Street Canal Bridge carries Bank Street along a roughly north – south direction over the Rideau Canal, linking The Glebe to Old Ottawa South. It also passes over Queen Elizabeth and Colonel By drives, each of which extends along one side of the canal.

Mayfair Theatre

Mayfair Theatre

Front (east) facade (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) 1074 Bank Street 1932 Commercial View additional images of building. Statement of Cultural Heritage Significance. The exterior of the Mayfair Theatre faces Bank Street with a three-story brick façade topped by a centrally-located, free-standing curvilinear Spanish Colonial Revival gable. The upper two thirds of the façade constitute a primarily blank, windowless surface with very limited decorative features. These include patterned brickwork and small square artificial cut-stone inlays defining…

Proposed Billings Bridge Street Car Service Never Materialized

Proposed Billings Bridge Street Car Service Never Materialized

The idea of extending street car service southward began with the annexation of Rideauville, and Wyoming Park (now Old Ottawa South) and the village of Ottawa East by the City of Ottawa on December 16, 1907. But street car service was dependant on suitable bridges crossing the Rideau Canal. At the time, swing bridges existed on Bank Street at Lansdowne Park and at Argyle Avenue and could not carry street cars. Almost immediately, new…

Treasures from the Attic

Treasures from the Attic

Jim Montgomery recently uncovered this artifact from a former Bank Street business: a 1927 calendar from A. E. Fairbairn, grocer, located at 1320 Bank Street, Ottawa South. Arthur E. Fairbairn operated a general store for many years on the west side of Bank Street, just north of the Billings Bridge. Arthur was the son of Peter Fairbairn, one of Ottawa South’s pioneers.

The Ottawa Folklore Centre Closes

The Ottawa Folklore Centre Closes

A beloved Bank Street establishment, owned and operated by former local resident Arthur McGregor, closed in 2015. The folk music community in Ottawa, in Ontario, and, indeed, across Canada, was dealt a harsh blow with the announcement that the Ottawa Folklore Centre has fallen into bankruptcy and has closed. The announcement came in a letter to the community (see below) from Arthur McGregor, who founded the Ottawa Folklore Centre in 1976 and ran it…

Memories of ‘Old’ Ottawa South

Memories of ‘Old’ Ottawa South

Jim Robertson lived in Ottawa South from 1947 until 1963 when his family moved to Rideau Gardens. After a career that saw him living in Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa again, Edmonton and Toronto, he is now retired and living in the Bank Street/Hunt Club Road area. Our family lived in Ottawa South during the 1940’s, 50’s and early 60’s. As I have become old, so has Ottawa South become “Old” Ottawa South. Phyllis and Dick…

More Zebras on Bank Street

More Zebras on Bank Street

You may have noticed a new set of zebra stripes at the intersection of Bank and Aylmer! This traffic calming and pedestrian safety measure is the result of consultations with the City and OSCA’S Traffic and Safety Committee.  It is one of the many recommendations resulting from our Traffic Survey of 2013.

End of content

End of content