Heritage Designation for Southminster

Heritage Designation for Southminster

On January 24, 2024, Ottawa City Council approved the heritage designation of Southminster United Church at 1040 Bank Street. More designations will come forward this year due to changes to the Ontario Heritage Act. Staff have been identifying properties across all wards that are strong candidates for designation under Part IV of the Act. Those properties will then be prioritized based on risk, program diversification, geography and architectural significance. Read the report outlining the…

Heritage Registry Review

Heritage Registry Review

Provincial legislative changes implemented through Bill 23 have amended the Ontario Heritage Act (OHA). As a result, the City of Ottawa is reviewing the approximately 4,600 non-designated properties listed on the City’s municipal heritage register, including several properties in Old Ottawa South. The intent of this project is to gather information on the heritage conservation interests and priorities of Ottawa residents. Heritage properties can include buildings, landscapes, bridges, and barns. The information gathered will…

Heritage Designation: 692 Echo Drive

Heritage Designation: 692 Echo Drive

On November 22, 2023, City Council issued a notice of intention to designate 692 Echo Drive under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act*. According to the Statement of Cultural Heritage Value the following aspects of the property were considered. Constructed in 1913, the building at 692 Echo Drive is a representative example of Edwardian Classicism, which was popular in Canada between 1900 and 1930. The architectural features of the building which are characteristic…

Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club

Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club

Extract from the City of Ottawa Heritage Evaluation Form report to the Built Heritage Committee December 10, 2019 The Ottawa Tennis and Lawn Bowling Club (OTLBC) and its grounds are rich in history.  The clubhouse reflects early 20th century middle-class life in Ottawa and is associated with individuals and an organization who are notable in Ottawa’s past. As an integral feature along the shore of the Rideau River, and part of the Old Ottawa…

860 Colonel By Drive – Potential Heritage Designation Under Review

The Heritage professionals and City councillors that make up the Built Heritage Subcommittee of the City of Ottawa voted six to one yesterday to reject a staff report recommending that the 111 year-old home at 860 Colonel By Drive not be designated. The home is already on the Heritage Inventory List and part of the Heritage Overlay that covers the houses between the Bank and Bronson bridges along Colonel By Drive and front the…

The Lewis Williams Family

The Lewis Williams Family

Recently on March 1st, as a Saint David’s Day tribute, the Bytown Museum posted an historic photo of the Lewis Williams family. Lewis Williams came from Wales in 1817 and settled along the Rideau River in then Nepean Township; the heritage-designated Williams house still stands at 96 Southern Drive, in Old Ottawa South.

Ottawa South Fire Station

Ottawa South Fire Station

Front (north) facade (Mohammad al-Asad, 2008) 260 Sunnyside Avenue 1921 Institutional  View additional images of building. The Old Firehall – Ottawa South Community Centre The elaborate Spanish Revival style tells us at a glance that this building was designed by Werner Ernst Noffke (1878 – 1964), one of Ottawa’s best-known architects of the early 20th century. It is also the third-oldest surviving structure built as a fire station in the city. Its construction in…

Williams House

Williams House

Northern facade facing Southern Drive (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 96 Southern Drive1820s and laterResidential View additional images of building. An 1827 map of the vicinity around the still-new settlement of Bytown shows the residence of Lewis Williams on this site, across the Rideau River from the house of Braddish Billings. The map is on display at the Billings Estate Museum. On this basis, it is believed that the original portion of this frame structure dates…

Monastery of the Precious Blood / Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons

Monastery of the Precious Blood / Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons

Front (north) facade (Kathy Krywicki, 2008) 774 Echo Drive1914 – 23Institutional View additional images of building. This Sisters of the Precious Blood, a contemplative order of nuns founded in St. Hyacinthe, Quebec, came to Ottawa in 1887. In 1898, they purchased the MacKay estate on Echo Drive, which included a large stone house. The house was demolished and in 1914 work began on a new convent designed by Alphonse Contant. However, construction came to…

End of content

End of content